When do you require helmets worn???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Pregame warm-ups?
Anytime they have a bat in their hand?
Bunting station?
Tee work?
Only live pitching?
Does age group matter?
Batting cage/ pitching machine?

Jan 8, 2019
Any drill where there is a bat involved for me. There is never a time in a game where they will be using a bat without a helmet so why practice without one? And I have seen and heard of way too many accidents to ever take the risk. Even coaches occasionally almost walk into a swing from time to time, and we're the ones who are supposed to know better.

Mar 13, 2017
Pregame warm-ups?
Anytime they have a bat in their hand?
Bunting station?
Tee work?
Only live pitching?
Does age group matter?
Batting cage/ pitching machine?
If I’m doing a one on one lesson helmet is optional for girls 12 and up (Required if using a pitching machine, seen some fluky things with that). If it’s a regular team practice bat in hand helmet on head.

Oct 26, 2019
If bats are being swung then helmets should be worn. Several years ago a young child was killed while working as the bat boy in a college summer league game. He was not wearing a helmet. Such a simple thing - put the helmet on and be safe. I would bet most kids hit happen this way - someone swinging a bat and not aware of surroundings. It’s not the ball I am afraid of

Sep 29, 2014
If you are holding a bat wear a helmet, another big reason is sight picture, you will always be seeing the ball with your helmet on, the sight picture isn't exactly the same without a helmet. Practice like you play.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2013
The age matters. We always wore them up through 12U. At 14 and above we didn't require if it was a front toss bunt drill soft toss or front toss where were weren't running. Most girls still wore them anyway which is fine. We also required in cages any time a ball was pitched. You tend to get some real funny bounces. 2 comments I would make are. 1. If you have a rule that you always wear you need to always enforce it. 2. I've witnessed more near injuries or real injuries by fielders during BP that weren't paying attention.

Nov 18, 2015
10U - After the freak Scherzer incident last year, I still have them put on at least a fielders mask if they're bunting soft toss. (We'll have them in groups of 3, and just treat it like pepper with whoever fields it tossing it back to the hitter for another bunt).

Any other hitting station, helmets on.

To expand slightly on CB's post above - balls in flight for me include baserunners, such as rundowns and situational fielding. I know they're only 10U (accuracy optional), but I don't see this changing much as they get older.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28