When can the Umpire call time?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

2br02b

Trabant swing
Jul 25, 2017
Provincial championships, first game of the day, Sunday morning elimination bracket.

We had a plate ump that was short tempered and rushing things right from the get go. First he tried to start the game 20 minutes early. Other coach laughed and said - "Can I warm up my pitchers?" He then stated he didn't have a watch, so he didn't know how early it was.

First hit of the game (we are fielding) was an E-6, (she booted the ball and then ran out of time to throw) so there is a runner on 1st. Next batted ball goes right to 2nd baseman but the runner gets in her way - ball is bobbled and throw is late... The 1st base coach does a face palm when he sees his runner get in the way of the fielder (so did everyone in the bleachers), but the field umpire doesn't notice the interference. We call for time to ask him if he saw it. Field umpire goes to the home plate umpire - the play stands.

Fast forward a bit.

4th inning, we are down 5-0. We get on a bit of a run, score four and send a runner home on an overthrow to home. Our runner is halfway home, the ball is against the back stop and the catcher is running towards the ball. Plate ump puts his hands up and calls "time". Our runner keeps going and he bends over and starts cleaning the plate. He then sends her back to 3rd. Obviously we were livid. We asked him why he called time when there was a ball in play. He says "I can call time whenever I want".

Next pitch is a passed ball. The catcher recovers, but doesn't even look at our runner (who was, again, almost halfway down the line). As soon as the catcher threw the ball to the pitcher, who was halfway to the circle, our runner bolted for home. Again the umpire calls time and starts cleaning the plate and sends her back.

Jun 22, 2008
The answer to you main question, the umpire should NEVER call time while playing action is still going on or the ball is not back with the pitcher in the circle. The only exception to this is if there is an injury the umpire believes needs immediate medical attention. And even then the umpire should place the runners where they judge they would have reached if time had not been called.

As for your reference to the non interference call. How exactly did the runner get in the way? Just running in front of a fielder is not in itself interference. There must be some other act of interference other than the runner just passing in front of a fielder.

2br02b

Trabant swing
Jul 25, 2017
The answer to you main question, the umpire should NEVER call time while playing action is still going on or the ball is not back with the pitcher in the circle. The only exception to this is if there is an injury the umpire believes needs immediate medical attention. And even then the umpire should place the runners where they judge they would have reached if time had not been called.

As for your reference to the non interference call. How exactly did the runner get in the way? Just running in front of a fielder is not in itself interference. There must be some other act of interference other than the runner just passing in front of a fielder.

2B went to play the ball and the runner brushed into her at the same time - the ball was bobbled as a result. 2B backed off a bit and shouldn't have. We talked to her about staying the course.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Provincial championships, first game of the day, Sunday morning elimination bracket.

We had a plate ump that was short tempered and rushing things right from the get go. First he tried to start the game 20 minutes early. Other coach laughed and said - "Can I warm up my pitchers?" He then stated he didn't have a watch, so he didn't know how early it was.

More likely the TD instructed the umpires to get the game going as soon as possible. Getting a jump on a schedule can turn out to be a huge plus toward the end of the day.

First hit of the game (we are fielding) was an E-6, (she booted the ball and then ran out of time to throw) so there is a runner on 1st. Next batted ball goes right to 2nd baseman but the runner gets in her way - ball is bobbled and throw is late... The 1st base coach does a face palm when he sees his runner get in the way of the fielder (so did everyone in the bleachers), but the field umpire doesn't notice the interference. We call for time to ask him if he saw it. Field umpire goes to the home plate umpire - the play stands.

Would have to see it.
4th inning, we are down 5-0. We get on a bit of a run, score four and send a runner home on an overthrow to home. Our runner is halfway home, the ball is against the back stop and the catcher is running towards the ball. Plate ump puts his hands up and calls "time". Our runner keeps going and he bends over and starts cleaning the plate. He then sends her back to 3rd. Obviously we were livid. We asked him why he called time when there was a ball in play. He says "I can call time whenever I want".

This is true. Doesn't mean it is right to do so and should never occur during live ball which is still in play with active runners

Next pitch is a passed ball. The catcher recovers, but doesn't even look at our runner (who was, again, almost halfway down the line). As soon as the catcher threw the ball to the pitcher, who was halfway to the circle, our runner bolted for home. Again the umpire calls time and starts cleaning the plate and sends her back.

Yep, shouldn't have done that, either.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802