When are "fastballs" used, and for what purpose

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 26, 2010
This thread is being spun off of another fastball related thread. The purpose is to determine if and when fastballs are actually being used in fastpitch softball, and what the benefits may be. Here is a snippet of the conversation to start:

starsnuffer said:
Until then, we're stuck with the "Fastball" being the pitch that the coach thinks the kid can throw for a strike and nothing more.

-W

boardmember said:
While the rest of the post was good Snuff, I'd like to focus in on the highlight above.........

With this in mind........Does anyone here REALLY BELIEVE that pitchers should NEVER throw fastball and coaches should NEVER call them?

Bases full, 3-0 count, 7 hitter up who's 0 for 2 at the plate........I know.......Lets throw a lower percentage pitch that moves, down, or up, or sideways!............Really?

7-0 we're ahead. No one on........8 hitter up.........I know! Lets throw Drop/Screw/Rise/Change/Curve! And over pitch the hell out of the situation.........

How many times have you accidently WALKED the 3 worst hitters on the team because you OVER PITCHED to them and put the pitcher in a hole right from the get go..........

Common people........While it sounds glittery to say great pitchers never throw fastball.........It's NOT reality.........

Boardmember

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I only have a sec, but just yesterday had lunch with a friend who's dd is a freshman at a d1. He said "coach wants her throwing fastballs (talking situations similiar to what boardmember posted), she hasn't thrown a fastball in 4 years."

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Just a quick simple post.

0-2 to the batter runners in scoring position, going to waste one/couple to see if she will bite. Do you take the chance on a drop, rise, or in/outside breaking pitch that might get away from the catcher? Remember your just wasting a pitch for a chance she might be aggressive at the plate and setting on swinging if it's close.

Jul 26, 2010
I only have a sec, but just yesterday had lunch with a friend who's dd is a freshman at a d1. He said "coach wants her throwing fastballs (talking situations similiar to what boardmember posted), she hasn't thrown a fastball in 4 years."

That brings up a good point. Say the pitcher is a dropball pitcher. She also has a changeup and a screwball. She's been throwing them all game. Now she looses focus and gets behind. Coach calls a fastball because he wants a strike. . . .

What makes the coach think that if the pitcher can't pitch the pitches she's pitched all game, pitching a pitch she hasn't pitched is going to work better? I'm genuinely curious here.

-W

Apr 9, 2012
That brings up a good point. Say the pitcher is a dropball pitcher. She also has a changeup and a screwball. She's been throwing them all game. Now she looses focus and gets behind. Coach calls a fastball because he wants a strike. . . .

What makes the coach think that if the pitcher can't pitch the pitches she's pitched all game, pitching a pitch she hasn't pitched is going to work better? I'm genuinely curious here.

-W

Im going to agree here. If she does not work a fastball and does not use a fastball then you cant call a fastball. Call the pitches that she truly has in her arsenal. (which should include a basic fastball of some kind)

If shes a db pitcher and cant throw a db for a strike then shes not a db pitcher. If she cant throw any pitch for a strike then put n a pitcher that can.

I miss the days of situational pitchers like in baseball. If you cant throw what I need for this batter then Ill sub in a pitcher that can and maybe call you back when I need you.

Fastballs are needed. This game revolves around speed.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Heck, I don't know where all of these pitchers are that aren't throwing FBs. That is all I see, even at the JC level. Just try to even get them to throw a CU. You would think that I was asking for a hand stand.

Apr 9, 2012
Heck, I don't know where all of these pitchers are that aren't throwing FBs. That is all I see, even at the JC level. Just try to even get them to throw a CU. You would think that I was asking for a hand stand.

Some of us PC teach offspeed of all pitches. Mix speeds of each pitch type and you can disrupt batters timing. To establish that you have to establish top speed and get them to react to said variations of that established top speed.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
My DD still throws fastballs, can hit her spots, and can vary the speed 5-6 MPH. She also has a slight screwball 'tail' on her fastball, which helps keep the ball off the 'sweet spot' of the bat!

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England

-W

This is why you keep all the pitches in the mix throughout the game, whether they're sharp or not. Most of the game maybe you use the (FB/screw/rise) as a waste out of the zone just to tempt and show max speed. So if the right time comes later in the game, the(FB/screw/rise) isn't thrown cold.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rathouse