WHATS YOUR FAVORITE DEFENSIVE POSITION?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Not left out. Liked the outfield because my momma always told me i was outstanding in the field.

Sep 17, 2009
I like when position 'groups' have their own identity within a team. Batteries are obvious, they spend so much time and work so closely together. My daughter played on a really good team at 16U and she was a C/1B but the 'outies' were this group of crazy athletes and they would never let the ball hit the outfield grass without a dive AND a backup, warmups included. And they were proud of it, they owned it. It was awesome. A good in sync infield is a thing of beauty too, 2B and SS especially.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I like when position 'groups' have their own identity within a team. Batteries are obvious, they spend so much time and work so closely together. My daughter played on a really good team at 16U and she was a C/1B but the 'outies' were this group of crazy athletes and they would never let the ball hit the outfield grass without a dive AND a backup, warmups included. And they were proud of it, they owned it. It was awesome. A good in sync infield is a thing of beauty too, 2B and SS especially.
This is an awesome POST RichK!!!
Enjoyed your comments toward players personalities taking their position roles seriously!!

While coaching to identify position expectations and communicating the standard to each position on the field...
At times when speaking to the team would have outfielders stand next to eachother, corners next to eachother, middle infielders, then battery.
So when speaking could look
(eye contact) directly to the players when communicating topic.
This promoted everyone has a role and designated responsibility in our defense management meetings!
( those quick chats or few minutes of coaching discussion)
Position players could identify their responsibility while i as a coach could visually confirm what was being shared was connecting without looking around the group to eye contact/confirm.
All players could relate to and support eachother understanding each purpose.
Really important too, it helps define roles on the team, not clicks. ;)

Thanks for sharing your post RichK !!!

Catching favorite position.
Enjoy throwing runners out and defending the plate!
Also calling pitches!
Had the opportunity to call pitches entire career.
Yes, even in college! Travel And womans open.
The responsibility to connecting and communicating with pitchers huge part of a best outcome.
Reading learning batters additionally very important!
From that would say, wish more coaches would chat with the battery befor and during games to connect.
It helps! Since pitch calling from the duggout doesnt really offer the best perspective. Also pitchers have days they know certain pitches feel better than others. (or have confidence in)
Catchers recognize this as well. Without chatting, coach is out of the loop.

GO DEFENSE !! :)

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2019
Love it when my kid pitches. The drama of the strike count and pitch placement is my favorite part of the game.

A close second is outfield. Not much action but it's important when it is.

2 outs. 2 runners on. Last inning. Up by 1 run..... Smash hit... a diving catch robbing the other team of the "W". MVP in .5 seconds and a play you will never forget.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
In my playing days, my favorite position was 3b. I loved the challenge of the "hot corner". Played it my entire baseball career and softball career (modified fast pitch).

DD's favorite position is P. She claims to enjoy having the pressure of the game resting on her. She seems to feed off of it. She has always been the type of player that does her best when challenged. Put her up against a tough team, and she plays her best. Put her up against a mediocre team, and she seems to struggle. Almost like she loses her focus. Through the years she has played every position on the field. I remember one tournament she was asked to guest specifically as a SS. She doesn't have the speed to play that position on a regular basis, but she has sure hands, a strong arm, and understands the game. We also used her as an emergency catcher a few times. Ultimately she just wants to be on the field in any capacity.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
When its my dd playing its pitcher for sure. Talking defense here not pitching. But the kid could defend, this might be the dad talking here but I never saw a better defensive pitcher. Not just my words, but those of several other coaches who sent pitchers to D1. her coaches usually had 1st base stay home on a bunt. It made who covered what so much easier.

I also liked watching her play SS because no left-hander is supposed to play SS, but she did. ,

But I always wished I could have watched her play a whole season at 1st base. Defensively that was her best spot on the field.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
When its my dd playing its pitcher for sure. Talking defense here not pitching. But the kid could defend, this might be the dad talking here but I never saw a better defensive pitcher. Not just my words, but those of several other coaches who sent pitchers to D1. her coaches usually had 1st base stay home on a bunt. It made who covered what so much easier.

I also liked watching her play SS because no left-hander is supposed to play SS, but she did. ,

But I always wished I could have watched her play a whole season at 1st base. Defensively that was her best spot on the field.
Nice!
Good point about a pitcher who can be an additional assest as a defensive player!
How that can stand out when they are! Agree it does!

Always thought it peculiar so few (2%?) pitching instructors pay attention to developing a defensive response!
Most P. Instructors leave that to coaches ....
Hmmmm ;)
Pitch and react mechanism?!

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Nice!
Good point about a pitcher who can be an additional assest as a defensive player!
How that can stand out when they are! Agree it does!

Always thought it peculiar so few (2%?) pitching instructors pay attention to developing a defensive response!
Most P. Instructors leave that to coaches ....
Hmmmm ;)
Pitch and react mechanism?!
Many pitchers are what I call Michael Jackson pitchers. They wear a glove for no apparent reason.

Jun 8, 2016
Many pitchers are what I call Michael Jackson pitchers. They wear a glove for no apparent reason.
Pitcher on my DD's team turns her back after every pitch..last year she had a GB hit her in the back. Needs to get fixed else the next time she gets hit it will be in the back of her head (where there is no protection from her mask..) :(

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Pitcher on my DD's team turns her back after every pitch..last year she had a GB hit her in the back. Needs to get fixed else the next time she gets hit it will be in the back of her head (where there is no protection from her mask..) :(
IMHO that girl should not be put in the circle until she gets over that. She is a danger to herself.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812