WHATS YOUR FAVORITE DEFENSIVE POSITION?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
Agree with pitchers who are very good at fielding their positions. Definitely can show athleticism to college coaches.

I always loved the fact that our travel team has pitchers also play innings in a secondary position and hit. Definitely makes the player more marketable to a coach if they can be used in multiple positions and can hit, especially if pitching doesn’t work out.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
I'm not even sure my daughter (11) likes softball lol 🤷‍♀️ says she does...says she wants to play....doesn't want to work on anything though!
Maybe just ask her she wants to play catch. Mix in a few ground balls and pop ups. Just play with her, no instructions until she asks if you can help her learn how to. Good luck :giggle:

Mar 28, 2020
I like watching outfielders....kids getting on their horses and riding down a ball and stealing a great hit away.....I love seeing a solid hit to a open gap in the outfield and a kid comes out of nowhere and catches it.....nothing like outfielders....

Feb 14, 2020
This is an awesome POST RichK!!!
Enjoyed your comments toward players personalities taking their position roles seriously!!

While coaching to identify position expectations and communicating the standard to each position on the field...
At times when speaking to the team would have outfielders stand next to eachother, corners next to eachother, middle infielders, then battery.
So when speaking could look
(eye contact) directly to the players when communicating topic.
This promoted everyone has a role and designated responsibility in our defense management meetings!
( those quick chats or few minutes of coaching discussion)
Position players could identify their responsibility while i as a coach could visually confirm what was being shared was connecting without looking around the group to eye contact/confirm.
All players could relate to and support eachother understanding each purpose.
Really important too, it helps define roles on the team, not clicks. ;)

Thanks for sharing your post RichK !!!

Catching favorite position.
Enjoy throwing runners out and defending the plate!
Also calling pitches!
Had the opportunity to call pitches entire career.
Yes, even in college! Travel And womans open.
The responsibility to connecting and communicating with pitchers huge part of a best outcome.
Reading learning batters additionally very important!
From that would say, wish more coaches would chat with the battery befor and during games to connect.
It helps! Since pitch calling from the duggout doesnt really offer the best perspective. Also pitchers have days they know certain pitches feel better than others. (or have confidence in)
Catchers recognize this as well. Without chatting, coach is out of the loop.

GO DEFENSE !! :)
I agree 100% with pitcher/catcher calling own pitches. That makes them fully invested in outcome.
There was a team in 2019 PGF Nationals Beverly Bandits if I recall. The pitcher was calling out to the catcher before pretty much every pitch. Three number code. They won the Championship. The other team used 3 very good pitchers but this kid was determined and refused to lose.
I believe commentator mentioned they were doing this through the entire org. Good to see somebody gets it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802