What's your call again? (Video)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
pretty sure interference on a *thrown* ball must be deemed intentional?
so, I'm going with dead ball (assuming that thrown ball that hit the first runner went into dead ball territory after contact.), and second runner safe at home.

May 29, 2015
pretty sure interference on a *thrown* ball must be deemed intentional?
so, I'm going with dead ball (assuming that thrown ball that hit the first runner went into dead ball territory after contact.), and second runner safe at home.

In some codes (mainly baseball), that is true that intent is to be considered.

It is not true for USA, USSSA, or NFHS softball. Intent is irrelevant.

Feb 8, 2019
We had a high school game this year where both umpires did not know that rule. Same thing happened, but the umpires sent the runner back to first (she stole 2nd).
there should be asboustly no reason why high school umpires sending girl back on foul tip. in else they assuame catcher drop it? I had team in usa touarment steal on foul-tip and ask me if the runner goes back i said since it was foul-tip she is allowed to stay. after the game i check to make sure they understood the rules. and they look it up themselfs and said " i am surprise we haven't run into all seasson long" lol they good sports about it and i rather be kind to eudcated than to complain about them, (should of know yes) it took me when i first started in ll i had to read the rule 20 times 20... finally got it stuck in my head. Clincs that my fromer uic and i try or like to hold i always like to point this RULE OUT.

Nov 29, 2009
I love how parents just scream out against umpire rulings when they have no clue. I was watching a game yesterday where the girl on second stole third on a play where a foul tip was caught. OMG you should have heard the fans screaming bloody murder..."IT WAS A FOUL BALL!! SHE CANNOT STEAL" Neither coaches knew the rule either and the umpire had to explain it to the defensive coach who then went to the fans to explain it. It was amusing seeing the looks on their faces when they realized they had been screaming like idiots for no reason.

Had the same exact thing happen when I had a 10U team. The umpire was trying to explain the rule to my parents. I came out of the dugout and told the umpire thanks for trying to explain the rule to them, but it's not his job. Then I went to my patents and told them the umpire made the right call and I would explain the rule to them after the game. I gave the biggest parental mouth on the team the rule book after I found the rule and told him to explain it to all the other parents.

Nov 29, 2009
On this play I would have to say play on. The runner was well into foul territory and exiting the field of play after completing running bases. It was the defense who made the really bad throw that hit the runner in foul territory.

It is the equivalent of a catcher trying to pick off a runner at third. The ball bounces off of the runners helmet and skips down the left field line. Poor play by defense does not automatically mean a runner has interfered with a play.

May 29, 2015
Highjacking the thread ... or keeping it alive ... I don’t know.

Things I learned from parents today:

On a force out at the plate, the catcher must posses the ball and maintain contact with the plate until she throws it somewhere.

On a ball that hits the batter, but the batter doesn’t attempt to move (USA), I should give the batter a warning, not bring her back the plate. Oh, and I should allow the runner from third to score. It’s in the book. I should look it up.

It isn’t obstruction when the fielder lays on top of the runner. It should be interference on the runner for ... uh ... yeah, I don’t know why. But they said so.

Whatever it is ... it isn’t an illegal pitch until the other team’s pitcher does it.

The strike zone is actually from the middle of the plate to the middle of the opposite batter’s box and chin to shins (look it up!).

Coaches should have as many time outs as they want.

Drop dead time limit means you should get one more at bat if you are losing (despite you being the slowest team who wasted the most time every game you played).

I start getting grumpy in my sixth straight game with no break ... oh wait, I made that observation on my own.

And of course ... we should have instant replay to prove all of the above.

May 29, 2015
That was all just one day. Six games.

Some of the humor is wearing off on this stuff. I usually laugh at the stuff parents come up with. Usually it is a comment or a conversation that my ear picks up at just the right moment. I’m getting tired of people screaming their ignorance at me though. I love discussing rules and educating people (including myself!). I don’t socialize with the crowd, but I will take time to explain things when/if it is appropriate. Yesterday, I did not say a word to them.

I think I am ready for the winter break ...

Jun 7, 2019
The Man In Blue

That was all just one day. Six games.

Same here on Sunday - all behind the plate.

Some of the humor is wearing off on this stuff. I usually laugh at the stuff parents come up with... I’m getting tired of people screaming their ignorance at me though.

I usually find the parental ignorance is greater at the younger ages - maybe up to 14U. Then, when their daughters are older and they've learned a little bit, they evolve into people with an almost supernatural visual perspective. The father sitting on the other side of the 210' fence has a better view of the bang bang play on the attempted steal of 2nd than the base umpire does. The parents sitting all the way down the LF line, some 90-100' away, and back beyond the dead ball line, KNOW FOR SURE that the plate umpire blew the bang bang call at the plate. And they don't feel the slightest bit of shame for screaming their completely clueless opinions.

I think I am ready for the winter break ...

Another 4 weeks to go.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478