What's your call again? (Video)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2008
This one, throw is well off line and catcher had no chance of getting the runner coming home. In order to have interference there must be a play that was interfered with and I don't see a possible play in this video. As for the runner trying to get the bat, leave it be and stay out of the way or risk being called out for interfering in a play. If the catcher wants to move it, let them move it.

Reactions: MTR
Aug 2, 2019
My terrible guess, second run scores because there was no play. Ball is dead, batter runner cannot advance further.

Jun 4, 2014
Catcher would (could) have caught the ball 2 steps away from the plate when runner was 5 steps from the plate. Runner has benefit of speed and momentum in the right direction, but you'd still have to call this one.

May 29, 2015
Not sure of the rule set this is being played under, and that can make a difference. Some rule sets take intent into account.

USA Softball does not.

Under USA Softball wording, I have retired runner interference. The runner behind her trying to score is out and the other runners are going back to their last base touched at time of interference. Comp is basing his decision on the ability to make a play, but the USA wording is opportunity. That helps remove the judgement on whether or not there was a play.

USSSA is worded a little different ... it does require ability to make a play. In USSSA, Comp worded it best.

Attachments

• 27D7D722-F8CE-4B48-8BB5-8190D9829427.jpeg
    27D7D722-F8CE-4B48-8BB5-8190D9829427.jpeg
    38 KB · Views: 9
Jun 8, 2016
I love how parents just scream out against umpire rulings when they have no clue. I was watching a game yesterday where the girl on second stole third on a play where a foul tip was caught. OMG you should have heard the fans screaming bloody murder..."IT WAS A FOUL BALL!! SHE CANNOT STEAL" Neither coaches knew the rule either and the umpire had to explain it to the defensive coach who then went to the fans to explain it. It was amusing seeing the looks on their faces when they realized they had been screaming like idiots for no reason.

Jun 4, 2014
I love how parents just scream out against umpire rulings when they have no clue. I was watching a game yesterday where the girl on second stole third on a play where a foul tip was caught. OMG you should have heard the fans screaming bloody murder..."IT WAS A FOUL BALL!! SHE CANNOT STEAL" Neither coaches knew the rule either and the umpire had to explain it to the defensive coach who then went to the fans to explain it. It was amusing seeing the looks on their faces when they realized they had been screaming like idiots for no reason.

We had a high school game this year where both umpires did not know that rule. Same thing happened, but the umpires sent the runner back to first (she stole 2nd).

Jun 8, 2016
We had a high school game this year where both umpires did not know that rule. Same thing happened, but the umpires sent the runner back to first (she stole 2nd).
For every 1 of those there are 50 cases where parents, who never watched a baseball/softball game until their little darling starting playing, scream there head off with little to no clue about the actual rule.

Jun 4, 2014
I remember when I tried to explain the lookback rule to a longtime baseball coach in his first year as a softball coach. He went ballistic.

Jun 8, 2016
I didn't know that one either at first, of course I also didn't assume I knew all the rules so the first time I saw it called I asked ;)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478