Whats your "Area" tradition or rule about what happens with OTF homerun ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
My daughter hit a solo shot the other day that I was closest to when it landed. I grabbed it and was about to toss it back when the coach motioned for me to hide the ball. She wanted my daughter to have it since she's a new coach and she's never given her one before. When she got home, she tossed the ball in her pitching bucket.

Apr 20, 2017
My DD for the most part keeps them and puts them in her pitching ball bucket. Some significant ones she keeps and a few she gives to people. Her principal was at one home game against a top team in our area and she hit a 2 run and we won 2-1. She gave it to him after the game. Last night she gave one to her great grandmother that was at her sub state game.

Jan 31, 2011
OK - this may sound a little odd, but my oldest DD's high school AC would grab every homerun ball and write something with a Sharpie on it with the date, like "3 run bomb vs Bettendorf on 6/12/11" and give it to the player(she's 28 years old now). Over her HS career I tossed them all in a bucket and eventually put them in the attic. Now, about 10 years later, they mean a lot to me and reading the little notes takes me back to those days. Keep 'em. They mean something. Maybe not now, but someday.

Aug 5, 2022
Our team has hit 44 homeruns so far this year. No way we could keep all those balls. Our coach tosses the kids a little plastic dragon (our mascot) when the hit one as they’re rounding third. My kiddo keeps them in a keepsake jar. Our family gives her a duck (she has a jeep) and she writes the name of the game and the date. She keeps the special ones in the jeep like the first one, the walk off, the grand slam etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 29, 2014
We, HS Varsity, usually have a good number of decent balls in the buckets, the game balls from the last few games we've had less than 10 dingers so it's not a big deal to just get the ball and throw another "good" ball back to the Umpire. Although I imagine its up to the girl if you are hitting 15 -20 HRs a season it probably gets old.

Jun 8, 2016
I am just mad because my Mom didn't drag the polaroid camera out to the field to take pics of me with HR balls and then mail the pictures out to all of my relatives..

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Not sure about local traditions. From our experience, ball gets put back in play. May or may not get marked. Player who hits the HR ends up with a ball after the game. May or may not be said actual HR ball. See a lot of the post-game FB pictures online.

DD has yet to hit a HR, but when/if she does....I will keep it/them. Then when she's done, they'll go into some type of display piece for my office. Because I'm horribly sentimental when it comes to that stuff.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28