Whats your "Area" tradition or rule about what happens with OTF homerun ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 27, 2021
I don't see that many OTF home runs in person. I bet every young girl would like to keep the ball. What happens in your place?

May 29, 2015
Ya' got me. As long as I get a legal ball back to put in my ball bag, I don't care.

More than once the catcher and I had to stare stupidly at one another because we had no balls to continue play with. We waited.

I have no problem marking a ball and giving it to them at the end of the game, but we need to be able to get to the end of the game. I try to give it to the head coach to award during their post-game rather than giving it directly to the player.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Usually I'd carry a couple of sanctioned good quality leaher new balls in the wagon. Once the HR ball was returned to play, I'd call time and ask Blue to mark the ball and I'd replace it with new after the game. In 21 years of coaching, I've never had one refuse other than about half of them saying let's trade now.

May 27, 2022
We usually find a really good, albeit not new, replacement ball out of the bucket to put back into play and keep the HR ball.

I have a couple dozen in my daughters room from USSSA days. Probably donate them to the HS in the future. I know a couple girls that could start not just a team, but a whole program with their collection of HR balls.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2014
USA
Unless it’s the kid’s first one put it back in play. You can take the obligatory cheesy “holding HR ball” picture for Mom’s HS sweetheart to see on FB with some other ball after the game..
Mom's HS sweetheart on FB? I ned another cup of coffee and then I'll re-read...

Back in HS or Travel we'd try to keep a significant HR ball, there was usually some Dad or kid that would run out there and grab it for us. It was meant to be a confidence boosting memento for DD (not for DW), most of the time though it was simply returned to play.

Jun 8, 2016
Mom's HS sweetheart on FB? I ned another cup of coffee and then I'll re-read...
You read it right..you need to put your pattar filter on..lol.

After you have hit a few not sure keeping a ball does anything for confidence...but hey you do you.

May 20, 2015
DD2 hit one out in our first scrimmage a few weeks back; someone came up to the dugout and asked her if she wanted the ball

she looked at them and said "it's a scrimmage??????" and walked away haha

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812