What's the worst thing you had to give up/pass on for softball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 22, 2019
Same as a lot of you. Bought a place Northern Wisconsin when daughter was three. Between travel softball and basketball I go there to turn on the heat and turn off the heat every year and rake leaves maybe cut the grass. Usually end up paying somebody to do it.Supposedly my mother in law is buying it and the boat this spring. I won't use it for another six years hopefully! I used to golf too. This is more fun though I'll get back to that stuff later.

Aug 13, 2018
Before kids (and even after kids but before they played sports) I was an avid homebrewer. Made all kinds of beer, wine, etc. Was actively involved in my local club and attended the national homebrew conference a few times. It was great.

The best day of the year was Big Brew Day, the first Saturday in May. 50-75 of us would gather, brew beer, drink beer, eat food, have live music, etc. BBD was my favorite day of the whole year. The first weekend in May is also when my local organization hosts our annual spring tournament. I haven't been to BBD in a few years now, and don't see myself making it for a few years, either, as my kids are just more important.

Aug 2, 2019
Before kids (and even after kids but before they played sports) I was an avid homebrewer. Made all kinds of beer, wine, etc. Was actively involved in my local club and attended the national homebrew conference a few times. It was great.

The best day of the year was Big Brew Day, the first Saturday in May. 50-75 of us would gather, brew beer, drink beer, eat food, have live music, etc. BBD was my favorite day of the whole year. The first weekend in May is also when my local organization hosts our annual spring tournament. I haven't been to BBD in a few years now, and don't see myself making it for a few years, either, as my kids are just more important.
Wait a second.

Kids are more important than beer? I got it as a tie on DD's best day.

Aug 13, 2018
I still make beer (occasionally, not as often as I'd like) and I can always buy beer. Sometimes, depending on how the game went, I might NEED to buy beer ...

Oct 4, 2018
I have 3 diplomas, but have yet to walk across the stage to receive one. I missed my high school graduation for a HS state tournament, my college graduation for an NCAA regional, and my masters degree graduation to coach a high school game. I have been to several other folks graduations though and I don’t feel like I missed much - just a funny series of coincidences

Heck, I missed all my graduations just for something on TV. I had zero interest in sitting around for hours to get a piece of paper they'll mail to you a week or so later.

Feb 17, 2014
If it wasn't for sports. I would probably be a crappy parent. Sports has kept me focused on my daughter. I really don't care about things I've missed. I get over it. Birthdays. weddings. reunions. Eehhh! I've met some great people on this forum and in life with softball. I actually think I've gained more than missed.

I agree with this 100%. I believe the lives of DD, my wife and I have all been better because of softball. I don't feel like we missed out on anything.

Feb 20, 2020
My wife hates hates hates softball. Doesn't like the game, doesn't like the other parents, doesn't like the coaches, doesn't like our DD pitching. But my DD loves it, so we've let her play, and I do like the game so I've been the primary parent in all of it. But it has cost us more than a little peace in our household. :)

Jun 10, 2018
NY
I own a very nice bass boat, probably worth about 45,k-50k. That boat has not left the garage in damn near a year. Two kids that both play travel baseball/softball, and they both play travel basketball. The son also plays flag football but that is very close to home. I use to go to the boundary waters in Minnesota to go fishing every year with my father. I have not been on the fishing trip in 4 years now. I used to fish about 75 days per year. I will be lucky to go fishing for 3 days this year.

I am not complaining, I enjoy my kids' activities just as much as I use to enjoy fishing. Both activities are pretty damn expensive.
As someone who very recently lost her father, my heartfelt advice is start going on the fishing trip again!! Once a year, make it happen. Your dad wont always be here. Many other softball games you can go to. I mean this comment nonjudgementally and with kind intentions.

Aug 25, 2019
Yep, I agree. As the first one here who said to go on the cruise, I don't want to look back on my DD's childhood as "yep, there was softball, and umm, that softball tourney, and there was some more softball, and there was softball after that, and then she graduated".....I don't want my DD, my family, or myself missing out on any life experience. Yes, softball is most of it, but it shouldn't be all of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802