What's the correct method on timing a run?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 28, 2019
Say a 60ft run, Either on the field running out of the box or at home running a straight line speed? I guess my biggest question is what's the correct method of having the girl start as it relates to when you are hitting start on the timer? Typically at home, i've let me kids explode on their own and i'll hit start when they plant their first step down exploding across line. (technically their other foot will still be on the bag at that moment if they were stealing)

All these numbers don't mean anything to me of a 2.8 or a 3.3 if the timing methods are all off.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
The rule of thumb I always used is when the ball hits the bat, but no one really has a published standard, yes it is frustrating.
Like that time as a refference of
~Out of the box to first.

Then also do a
~Straight sprint no swing, just sprinting. 60'

Now you can see the difference
To demonstrate how getting out of the box quickly can be just as important as running speed!

Amazing how much after a swing reacting to then sprint may/can elapse time...

May 23, 2015
Running times in tryouts are trash numbers. Crack of the bat to first in a game is the best way, but you'll need several to get real numbers. The Crack gives you a visual and audible start

Feb 1, 2021
For base to base running, time from the starting base and time is started the moment the foot touching the base leaves the base. It's the only consistent method I have found.

For the swinging run, yeah, that's anybody's guess. I've seen it done 20 different ways. I actually had a conversation with my DD during her camps on how to cheat every time run she would see. She needed the help and everyone else was also cheating them, so I felt it was justified.

Feb 1, 2021
We are listening... lol

It's all various takes and getting in as many steps as they will allow before the timer starts. If you are doing a laser-timed run, walk up to the line, then start your run without stopping. Heck, I have seen some even get a running start before the start line.

For the base to base when they start the timer after your foot leaves the bag, put your push foot on the front of the bag, then step back over the bag. When you are ready, push forward off the back foot, the push forward again off the base. This essentially gives you a free step. It can take off .2 seconds easy.

If you do a swinging run, obviously swing from the left hand batters box. If they allow a running slap start and you know how to do it, do so.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Running times in tryouts are trash numbers. Crack of the bat to first in a game is the best way, but you'll need several to get real numbers. The Crack gives you a visual and audible start

And it's the only thing that actually matters since it's also a real start. The moment the ball is hit is when the defense has a chance to throw the batter-runner out, so let's start the timer there.

Of course, that's not always practical, so if you're just trying to gauge sprint speed, there is some value in timing everyone some different way (first move, crossing some line, etc). But if you truly want how fast they are to first, you need them to hit a ball. Half the battle is transitioning from contact to running.

May 6, 2015
never had DD be timed, might happen t national, I think a hit off the tee, with stop watch being started at crack of bat, would be a good way. or if the tee would be in the way, soft toss perhaps?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
re.todd22