What's the call?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure what the ruling on this should be from tonight’s game
Runner on 1B, pitcher throws a change-up that lands 10 feet in front of HP, but is rolling toward the batter. Catcher jumps in front of HP/ batter and picks up the ball 3-4 feet in front of HP to make a throw to 2B.
My question is can a catcher move from behind the plate to pick up a ball that is still moving forward toward HP or do they have to wait for it to cross or reach the plate?

Jun 22, 2008
They must give the batter the opportunity to strike at the ball, even one that is rolling on the ground. Catchers obstruction, batter is awarded 1st base.

May 29, 2015
The only way I could see being able to argue that it is not catcher’s obstruction is if the ball was not going to make it to the batter (in the umpire’s judgement).

USA Softball wording (8-1-D3) reads “The catcher steps on or in front of home plate without the ball and prevents the batter from hitting the ball.”

If the ball was not going to reach the batter, the catcher was not the preventative piece.

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks, I'm thinking it was the PU judgement that it would not have made it to HP although I felt they made the call early (ball still moving forward). No harm, still won the game :)

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
What about those situations where the pitcher accidentally whacks her leg and the ball just kinda rolls to the side?

The rule says "prevents the batter from hitting the ball." Is it assumed that a ball that's going to end up rolling behind the batter is not a ball that can be hit, so the catcher can just run out to grab it?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2