What's more comfortable

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Most challenging part of the game, the timing concept. Think coaches need to be very aware so they can give high praise when a young one times one up.

Oct 2, 2017
IMO.. most kids or inexperienced hitters are afraid of swinging at a bad pitch... leading to them being late. Hard thing to drill into an inexperienced hitters head is to start their sequence on every single pitch, treat every pitch like a strike, like an opportunity to do damage. Once they have this mentality and train their body's to do this.. the issue with being early or late is much simplified.

i certainly see this all to often. It causes the player to wait and see the ball leave the pitchers hand to read before they even start their sequence.

BigSkyHi

Jan 13, 2020
Are you referring to understanding certain check mark points in the swing?
oops. replied to the world. my apology. Most challenging part of the game, the timing concept. Think coaches need to be very aware so they can give high praise when a young one times one up.

May 12, 2016
Sure coaches can learn to throw windmill style. If I can anyone can. I would never suggest that I am top of the line but I can put it in there inside and out for some good reps. I also believe that when throwing front toss, it has to be done with a timing mechanism. I show the ball, take it back away from the hitter and then toss it. In that way, the hitter works on timing.
Agree 100%, anybody can learn windmill.. biggest issue most people have with learning wind mill is a late release.. pitch always go high when any velocity is applied. I suggest for those learning windmill and trying to increase velocity, think about releasing the ball into the ground behind you.. you will be surprised where the ball goes :)

May 12, 2016
i certainly see this all to often. It causes the player to wait and see the ball leave the pitchers hand to read before they even start their sequence.
Yep trust in the sequence.. amazing how much the game slows down when you are in the correct position at the right time to launch the barrel.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Have hitter sequence to check swing position just prior to heel plant (it is a tiring position) and throw front toss. Wait wait wait plant heel and explode.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Sure coaches can learn to throw windmill style. If I can anyone can. I would never suggest that I am top of the line but I can put it in there inside and out for some good reps. I also believe that when throwing front toss, it has to be done with a timing mechanism. I show the ball, take it back away from the hitter and then toss it. In that way, the hitter works on timing.
Nice!
Generally only get to see underhand when facing pitchers.
Not the same as seeing the ball playing catch.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Have hitter sequence to check swing position just prior to heel plant (it is a tiring position) and throw front toss. Wait wait wait plant heel and explode.
When tossing front toss, my hitters know that I will sometimes go through my motions but not throw the ball. I am looking for what you mentioned above.

BigSkyHi

Jan 13, 2020
At 1:30 of the video watch the on deck circle timing when to lift the stride heel. The hitter in the hole is most likely standing or sitting working on the heel lift also. Maybe this should be incorporated into the practice routine as well?

May 12, 2016
At 1:30 of the video watch the on deck circle timing when to lift the stride heel. The hitter in the hole is most likely standing or sitting working on the heel lift also. Maybe this should be incorporated into the practice routine as well?

Many coaches tell kids to time the pitcher on deck, they need to elaborate. Kids get on deck and try to determine when the ball will cross the plate. What they should be doing is timing their own hitting sequence with the pitchers sequence... dancing with the pitcher

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802