What's more comfortable

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
Guys, Do you think younger players are more afraid and uncomfortable of being early or being late? By early getting to at lease toe touch. I was observing BP yesterday on my DD's team, and it seemed a lot mechanics break down when they feel like they are early.

Aug 20, 2017
Guys, Do you think younger players are more afraid and uncomfortable of being early or being late? By early getting to at lease toe touch. I was observing BP yesterday on my DD's team, and it seemed a lot mechanics break down when they feel like they are early.
I think the are so afraid of being late that they start way too early and like you said, mechanics break down. The body wants to swing when the front foot lands. If they get front foot down early power will be leaked all over the place. Young kids in BP need to try to hit every ball up the middle to get a feel for good timing.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
This seems like live pitching with eyeballs and timing learning curve.

...in another post was talking about live pitching at practice...
Some thought it is absurd.
I think its essential.

Brings up the question~

Can Coaches learn to throw windmill to there younger teams?
Heck straight pitches would be fine! 35' feet away....come on now. 👍

Either wait for lots of game reps to help flatten the learning curve ( ;) )
Or
Get more live reps at practice and flatten the curve yourself. ( ;) )

*Bunting helps seeing pitches and timing!

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
If has been my experience that it works better with young players who are learning the game to have them be "early and soft." By that I mean teaching them to dance with the pitcher but find a place in the pitchers delivery where they are at toe touch and control the rest of their sequence. It has also been my experience that from there you can help a hitter advance easier.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
This seems like live pitching with eyeballs and timing learning curve.

...in another post was talking about live pitching at practice...
Some thought it is absurd.
I think its essential.

Brings up the question~

Can Coaches learn to throw windmill to there younger teams?
Heck straight pitches would be fine! 35' feet away....come on now. 👍

Either wait for lots of game reps to help flatten the learning curve ( ;) )
Or
Get more live reps at practice and flatten the curve yourself. ( ;) )

*Bunting helps seeing pitches and timing!
Sure coaches can learn to throw windmill style. If I can anyone can. I would never suggest that I am top of the line but I can put it in there inside and out for some good reps. I also believe that when throwing front toss, it has to be done with a timing mechanism. I show the ball, take it back away from the hitter and then toss it. In that way, the hitter works on timing.

May 23, 2015
Kids want to please their parents and coaches. Its really that simple. When they learn to please themselves in athletics great things happen. Sadly most quit or have too much garbage ingrained when they grow older. You can't unring a bell

May 12, 2016
IMO.. most kids or inexperienced hitters are afraid of swinging at a bad pitch or spend too much time reading the pitch before starting their sequence... leading to them being late. Hard thing to drill into an inexperienced hitters head is to start their sequence on every single pitch, treat every pitch like a strike, like an opportunity to do damage. Once they have this mentality and train their body's to do this.. the issue with being early or late is much simplified.

Oct 2, 2017
I think the are so afraid of being late that they start way too early and like you said, mechanics break down. The body wants to swing when the front foot lands. If they get front foot down early power will be leaked all over the place. Young kids in BP need to try to hit every ball up the middle to get a feel for good timing.

I can see that, It seems like because a lot of young player rely on momentum to power the swing

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478