What you wish you knew then....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2013
Is a delayed steal when the runner takes 1 step off the base then starts running after the C has the ball or is that just our players?

Oct 25, 2009
A delayed steal, for example, would be when the runner doesn't return to the base; instead they would steal just as the catcher releases the ball on the throw back to the pitcher.

Another example, that happened to us during a playoff game. Our pitcher had a routine of walking toward second out of the circle after she received the ball from the catcher. An alert runner on the other team picked up on this and stole second, since no one was at second for the pitcher to throw to.

It's not dirty. It's an opportunity that a sharp player will take advantage of.

Oct 25, 2009
I see this opportunity for a delayed steal quite often. After the pitch the 2nd baseman and ss return to their positions too quickly. This gives the runner on 1st a great opportunity to steal second on the throw back to the pitcher.

Even good teams can get careless. You teach your players to look for opportunities. To look for mistakes.

Aug 2, 2008
I wish I new that by trying to treat every player the same, that the better players will eventually leave for a more competative atmosphere.

And nice coaches can win provided they are the meanest of the nice coaches in the tournament.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2009
I wish I new that by trying to treat every player fairly i.e. the same, that the better players will eventually leave for a more competative atmosphere.

And nice coaches can win provided they are the meanest of the nice coaches in the tournament.

Fair does not mean equal or the same.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
We just delayed steal this weekend that was a game winner for us. Bottom of the 6th, tie game, 5-5, we were home team, we had bases loaded with one out and the catcher walks toward the pitcher for a quick conference, they both met with each other at about 7' in front of the circle, never called time. I sent my runner home from three...game over! Is that unsportsman like on me??? Call it what you want, but my team is advancing in the bracket and your headed home.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I see this opportunity for a delayed steal quite often. After the pitch the 2nd baseman and ss return to their positions too quickly. This gives the runner on 1st a great opportunity to steal second on the throw back to the pitcher.

Even good teams can get careless. You teach your players to look for opportunities. To look for mistakes.

I agree. Especially with your last paragraph. It might be true that more experienced, better teams are going to drive certain delayed steals into extinction, but one of the best lessons that young players can learn is that 'look for opportunities' mentality. Those opportunities might look different in 12U vs. 16U, but the mentality is the same. Maybe the girl who figured out how to steal third on the throw back to the pitcher in 10U will be the one who goes from 1st to third on a single to CF at 16U because she's quick to notice that the CF was playing deep, or lacked a strong arm, or bobbled the ball just enough.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Also, regarding the sportsmanship issue, no, it's not nice to inflict a delayed steal on a team that you're beating 14-0.

But in competitive games, the team that is 'victimized' by the delayed steal should thank the opposing team. That's one reason that you play the game - to have other teams show you what you need to work on. Your opponent is your teacher. That's why you shake their hand afterward and say 'good game.'

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
If we could do it all over again, we would not have paid very big dollars for DD to play on a so-called big name team so she could get good looks from a lot of colleges. She would have played on a more local team and spent the money on going to small camps at the schools of her choice.

I'm not saying that DD and family didn't have a heck of a lot of fun. I wouldn't trade the last 7 years of our family being together doing what we all love doing, I just think we could have done it better. DD got her deal and will play for a college of her choice, so the end result is successful.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom