What would you do?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2019
Granddaughter is in her 2nd year of 14u travel, with the A level team. The coach has been problematic yet, her parents have not complained, ever. However, now it appears other parents have voiced complaints and some have removed girls from the team to go to other teams. Now my granddaughter wants to play with the B-level team as she is very familiar with the coaches and has played for their teams in the past. A-level coach limits her to CF and the other coaches have had her at SS, 3B as well as CF. She would like the opportunity to develop more at those other positions prior to entering high school next year. Should she stay and stick it out with the current coach or pursue moving to the lower level team for more playing time at her preferred positions? The level of play is not that far off between the 2 teams to tell you the truth. I feel that coach has always been good to her however, not very positive with the girls in general.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Granddaughter is in her 2nd year of 14u travel, with the A level team. The coach has been problematic yet, her parents have not complained, ever. However, now it appears other parents have voiced complaints and some have removed girls from the team to go to other teams. Now my granddaughter wants to play with the B-level team as she is very familiar with the coaches and has played for their teams in the past. A-level coach limits her to CF and the other coaches have had her at SS, 3B as well as CF. She would like the opportunity to develop more at those other positions prior to entering high school next year. Should she stay and stick it out with the current coach or pursue moving to the lower level team for more playing time at her preferred positions? The level of play is not that far off between the 2 teams to tell you the truth. I feel that coach has always been good to her however, not very positive with the girls in general.
I would follow her heart

Mar 4, 2015
New England
I wouldn't leave unless (1) the coach clearly isn't delivering what he/she promised, (2) the coach would understand or be indifferent to my departure, or (3) I'm absolutely miserable. IMO, players owe their coaches loyalty and commitment unless one of those situations exist. And #1 and #3 can be pretty subjective.

Oct 4, 2018
Is the season almost over? Our really is just about done. Handful of tournaments left and we don't play July & August. I'd wait it out if you're close to the end of the season, assuming conditions aren't horrible.

Oct 3, 2019
Is the season almost over? Our really is just about done. Handful of tournaments left and we don't play July & August. I'd wait it out if you're close to the end of the season, assuming conditions aren't horrible.
Actually, it's just beginning this weekend with practices. First tournament is at the end of this month. They've had practices pretty much each season during Covid, but no games, then the high school and Rec seasons happened but now, time for summer ball.

Feb 20, 2020
She ought to have fun, but leaving a team in the once a season has started -- if there's not a compelling reason -- is kind of a crappy things to do and a crappy message to send. Especially with travel teams if they've limited their roster to give girls good chances at playing time.

She should ask for, at a minimum, practice time at the other positions she wants to play so she can develop before high school. Or she can practice those positions on her own.

There's also the issue of you are only tangentally involved here. I don't mean to diminish your relationship with your granddaughter, but if her parents think the right thing to do is stay, then you getting in the middle of this seems outside your pay grade. It's good for you to be a sounding board for her frustrations, but I would end it at that.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
A 14U "A" team and no games? I thought all A teams would be finding a ways to play. Maybe it's the area your GDD is in. Just wondering.

May 6, 2015
A 14U "A" team and no games? I thought all A teams would be finding a ways to play. Maybe it's the area your GDD is in. Just wondering.
14u, many of the girls might be playing HS, and may not be allowed, either by state rules, or HS coach, to play TB at same time. our 14u ran into this, only two HS girls, but HS coach has told them they cannot play both, they are sneaking to our practices and games when they can.

May 21, 2015
South
I have always believed that a player commits for one season at a time. Sometimes it gets a little gray when a season could end at the end of summer or may end with the last fall tournament. Quitting a team mid season is not cool unless there is a compelling reason. Have your granddaughter stick it out until the season ends, then your a free agent.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
A vs B teams. Generally...
Have different choices pending talent level and longer term goals.
Goals can help make these decisions.
Considering what she can do now,
Which may help achieve wherever she wants to be next year at this time?
Some kids think for now.
Few consider next year.
Fewer consider in a few years.
Plan For Goals

Fun & Friends are ok goals ...
Those things are also made!
Good Luck!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member