What would you do.....?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 18, 2018
At a "friendly" tournament today and am 99% sure I recognized a player that is not our age group and playing down. I was doing the book so didn't really have time to see if I saw the parents, who I sort of know (peripherally).
Granted we won game, but what would the coaches here have done?

Even if I told our coach I think he would shrug it off, and in this situation I don't care either. But I think it's a good think to know what other tricks orgs pull.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Dec 15, 2018
CT
Our coach doesn’t put up with shenanigans. Last fall he called out an illegal player (it was kind of obvious with her wearing the helmet of a different org and different socks). Waited for her to complete at bat, informed ump, that was it.

I think playing down is way more egregious than playing off roster. It can be borderline dangerous.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Waited for her to complete at bat, informed ump, that was it.

I am not certain about all codes, but this does not seem like an umpire issue. If the girl is listed on the line-up card/if the rules allow a player to be added to the sub list after lineup cards are exchanged, then that is all an umpire can rule on. He/She does not have access to birth records, home addresses etc. If an umpire DID make a ruling about an ineligible player, then that umpire was wrong (again, this depends on rules code, but if anyone knows of a code that requires/permits umpires to make eligibility decisions, please let us know).

Dec 15, 2018
CT
I am not certain about all codes, but this does not seem like an umpire issue. If the girl is listed on the line-up card/if the rules allow a player to be added to the sub list after lineup cards are exchanged, then that is all an umpire can rule on. He/She does not have access to birth records, home addresses etc. If an umpire DID make a ruling about an ineligible player, then that umpire was wrong (again, this depends on rules code, but if anyone knows of a code that requires/permits umpires to make eligibility decisions, please let us know).

Well, you have to inform somebody, and the ump is the logical person on field to inform. He/she then contacts the UIC / tournament director. So yes, the director made the decision.

May 6, 2015
for a friendly or really any unsanctioned event, unless it was alike a HS playing 12u, our HC would probably do nothing, except maybe brag after the game to the girls they just beat a team that had a ringer.

if it is a sanctioned event, I think you have to all them out to the TD. turning a blind eye towards it in order to not make a fuss . . . couple of years later, it is considered accepted practice. slippery slope

Aug 18, 2018
for a friendly or really any unsanctioned event, unless it was alike a HS playing 12u, our HC would probably do nothing, except maybe brag after the game to the girls they just beat a team that had a ringer.

if it is a sanctioned event, I think you have to all them out to the TD. turning a blind eye towards it in order to not make a fuss . . . couple of years later, it is considered accepted practice. slippery slope
Agree. And that was the approach taken. Unsanctioned, shrug off but store in memory. At a sanctioned event, won't let that fly.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Mar 4, 2015
New England
In a friendly, there's nothing inappropriate about it. Friendlies are practice. Thank them for bringing better players to give you better practice.

May 6, 2015
In a friendly, there's nothing inappropriate about it. Friendlies are practice. Thank them for bringing better players to give you better practice.

sometimes friendlies are not so much . . . I know DD debated for some time asking coach to schedule a "friendly" DH with new travel team started in town ("to give in town girls a place to play") by father of player DD played rec with, same position . .. reached out to nearly everyone who had ever played rec in our town, but never DD. would not have been really friendly (even though she is friends with a lot of girls on that team, goes to school with them all).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12