What would you do if you feared a travel coach could sabotage DD's chances of playing DI or even DII?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
As for the ROI, this is what DD wants to do with her time now. DW and I are thinking this is not necessarily an investment in the future, it is an investment in DD's life now. She should be doing something with her free time as a high school student, and this is what she chose. If she wanted to do dance, she would be going to dance classes. We are just letting her follow her passion.

DD has such interest in her preferred field of study that she reads books about it on her own time. She becomes thoroughly committed to what she loves, whether it is softball or the dream of working in the field that interests her. I think she has a reasonable perspective on life.

BTW, I'm a musician, I would've loved it if she had gone into the arts.

I wish we had something stronger than “like“ here ... ^THAT is the proper attitude! :)

Nov 18, 2013
What's the big deal about D1? Isn't being able to play as long as possible, at any level, enough? I get it if the D1 school is where the kid needs and wants to go academically but, prioritizing D1 simply because of softball seems to me like, be careful what you hope for.

if you have to ask, you wouldn’t understand.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I think she will find that even DIII schools keep kids pretty busy. As for D1, most of the kids "I know" (can't speak for all) consider it a job that comes before school. If your worried about your coach, go see Dave Lotti. He has kids from across the NE playing for him and he has a great College Liaison. Unless she plays for Lotti. lol

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Devil's advocate: What if the coach is right, but you don't see it?

There is a wide variety of D1 and D2's programs that have players with various levels of skills. If you look at Massey Ratings and use the Match Up Button, you can simulate a game or series of game to generate outcomes. I ran some simulations of mid level D3's vs some lower level D1's and the D3's Win! Do you due diligence to find the best fit for your DD and your family and hit it hard(pun intended).

Jun 11, 2012
DD is at a DIII and she spends plenty of time at the gym lifting, conditioning and doing things softball related. Sure not as much as a DI but still a lot. So if that is her only reason for excluding DIII schools she may want to reconsider.
How could her club coach sabotage her chances? Are they not playing in showcases?

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
DD is at a DIII and she spends plenty of time at the gym lifting, conditioning and doing things softball related. Sure not as much as a DI but still a lot. So if that is her only reason for excluding DIII schools she may want to reconsider.
How could her club coach sabotage her chances? Are they not playing in showcases?

My kid lifts in the morning, study hall, goes to class, catches bull pen, goes back to class, goes to practice, done at 6:30pm. Studies more. Cries herself to sleep! Rinse and Repeat.

May 22, 2019
Rural northeast

Not giving a positive assessment of DD's attitude and skills to a college coach.

Apr 15, 2018
If you don't believe your current travel ball coaching staff will represent your daughter's ability to prospective college coaches honestly, and would intentionally sabotage your daughter's recruiting efforts, then yes that is obviously a problem - since I assume that is why you are there. As a coach, I try never to say where I think a player will end up, I always say that the recruiting process will work that out for the player and her family - every situation is different. If you believe that your travel ball coaching staff or program doesn't have the proper training, coaching, recruiting experience, or perhaps strength of schedule, that too may limit your daughter's possibilities. Many well run programs have team members outside a close geographic area - this is done all the time, limited practices during the week, longer practices on the weekend, etc. enable this.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478