What would you call this?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

osagedr

Canadian Fastpitch Dad
Oct 20, 2016
USSSA RULES: The Runner is out:

B. slides illegally and causes illegal contact and/or illegally alters the actions of a fielder in the immediate act of making a play on her. PENALTY: The runner is out and the ball is dead immediately and interference is called. 50 15th Edition (Online Revised 1-2020) NOTE: Runners are never required to slide but, if the runner elects to slide, the slide shall be legal. C. does not legally attempt to avoid a fielder in the immediate act of making a play on her. PENALTY: The runner is out and the ball remains live unless interference is called. NOTE: Jumping, hurdling, and leaping are all legal attempts to avoid a fielder only if the fielder is lying on the ground.

Definition:

SLIDE. A legal slide can be either feet first or head first. If a runner slides feet first, at least one leg and buttock shall be on the ground. If a runner slides, the runner shall be within reach of the base with either a hand or a foot when the slide is completed. A slide is illegal if: A. The runner uses a rolling, cross-body or pop-up slide into the fielder. B. The runner’s raised leg is higher than the fielder’s knee when the fielder is in a standing position. C. The runner goes beyond the base and makes contact with or alters the play of the fielder. D. The runner slashes or kicks the fielder with either leg. E. The runner tries to injure the fielder.

Now, seems to me that slide was the rolling type, and plus, starting a slide 5 feet from the base with a fielder with the ball in front of you, I'd say she was not in reach of the base. I correct my OP and say it wasn't malicious contact, ( I don't think it was her intention to injure fielder) but an out from an illegal slide.

Good post; best-case scenario it was reckless disregard for the safety of the fielder.

Mar 10, 2020

I feel this is malicious contact by the runner putting her head down and taking our the fielder's legs. What say you?

Look at the video again.
The fielder is not already standing up the line.
She moves forward into the line as throw and runner come to her.
This is not the fielder standing there for the runner to make another choice of approach.
This collision is bound to happen. The runner is already ducking. If you look at her runner she runs with her head down. Even befor the throw is to the defense. Her alternative may been to slide. Or stand either way unavoidable.

If your going to sight the rules find out what rules should be applied.
Then argue with the blues who called her safe.
Equally so post the rules on defensive obstruction.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
USSSA RULES: The Runner is out:

B. slides illegally and causes illegal contact and/or illegally alters the actions of a fielder in the immediate act of making a play on her. PENALTY: The runner is out and the ball is dead immediately and interference is called. 50 15th Edition (Online Revised 1-2020) NOTE: Runners are never required to slide but, if the runner elects to slide, the slide shall be legal. C. does not legally attempt to avoid a fielder in the immediate act of making a play on her. PENALTY: The runner is out and the ball remains live unless interference is called. NOTE: Jumping, hurdling, and leaping are all legal attempts to avoid a fielder only if the fielder is lying on the ground.

Definition:

SLIDE. A legal slide can be either feet first or head first. If a runner slides feet first, at least one leg and buttock shall be on the ground. If a runner slides, the runner shall be within reach of the base with either a hand or a foot when the slide is completed. A slide is illegal if: A. The runner uses a rolling, cross-body or pop-up slide into the fielder. B. The runner’s raised leg is higher than the fielder’s knee when the fielder is in a standing position. C. The runner goes beyond the base and makes contact with or alters the play of the fielder. D. The runner slashes or kicks the fielder with either leg. E. The runner tries to injure the fielder.

Now, seems to me that slide was the rolling type, and plus, starting a slide 5 feet from the base with a fielder with the ball in front of you, I'd say she was not in reach of the base. I correct my OP and say it wasn't malicious contact, ( I don't think it was her intention to injure fielder) but an out from an illegal slide.
illegal slide could be another umpires perception for this judgement call.
On this they did not perceive that. Nor did i.

Generally i do not argue with umpires. No matter to argue their ruling stands right or wrong. The umpire is always right!

Will add this,
Yes judgement and opinion are part of the blue's job.
There are far more missed judgements on balls and strikes than anything else.
Which effect the game far more ...than to argue in a game over one call especially this mash up play.

ENJOY

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Here i looked up usssa obstruction rules.
Cannot be in path of runner without the ball.
Says cant stand in front of base waiting for the ball.
The impedeing the runner scenario.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-11-11-16-38-15.png
    Screenshot_2020-11-11-16-38-15.png
    115.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Aug 25, 2019
Here i looked up usssa obstruction rules.
Cannot be in path of runner without the ball.
Says cant stand in front of base waiting for the ball.
The impedeing the runner scenario.
Right, you certainly can stand in the base runners path without the ball, that is obstruction, but if the fielder has the ball, even a second before the runner makes contact, then that's not obstruction. That's the way I would call it.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I dont think it was obstruction either. Just posted the rule.

imo It was a play that the runner on the way, arriving just befor and reacting to the defense jumping to the ball arriving. The defense landing in path of runner who had already made a decision to dive seeing ball arriving.
( the ball was not there yet when defender was jumping to it = runner reacted)
It wasnt pretty, but because of where the throw went and defender landing, both were put into a collision situation but each was doing what they needed to do.
No fault play. Thats how i see it.
The rules are there to hopefully prevent injury or like others commented intentionally , however no rules can prevent the timing in this play from the timing of the elements.
No fault.
No issue on the play.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016
Chicago

She only rolled after she made contact with the fielder, her forward momentum stopped with her upper body, and her lower body rolled sideways. She wasn't going to roll like that if not for the contact, which really wasn't her fault.

And the fact it takes this many viewings and this much discussion is really all the evidence I need to suggest the runner, while maybe not the best at sliding, didn't violate any rules. If you're gonna call someone out for an illegal slide, it had better be obvious.

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
First, this team on defense needs to to a practice or two or three on how to do a proper defense of a runner caught off base. The catcher continually put the ball into her glove with her hand off of it. Her initial slide steps were great. She needed to show the ball with it being held up in throwing position so that she could throw it or throw a dart to whichever base she needed to throw to. After she began to close down the distance, she needed to turn that slide into a sprint where she forced the runner to commit to a base and then throw the dart to the baseperson. Instead she didn't create the angle to make the runner commit. She threw a lazy toss to 1B. 1B then had to throw to the SS who was in the wrong position. The SS should have been standing on the "inside" of the base giving 1B a clear throwing lane. When 1B threw the ball over the runner's head, that lazy high toss set up the contact. I don't disagree with Westwind that obstruction could have been the call. I won't say for sure since I don't have all of the angles. However, the runner didn't have another option but to make contact due to poor defensive fundamentals. JMHO.

I went and watched this again several times. The runner is beginning to slide or dive when the SS's feet are in the air. I don't know how anyone could see intent in this. A still photo like the one presented shows this. In that amount of time the runner, imo, was simply trying to get to the base. BTW, how could anyone expect a player to be able to adjust to such a poor defensive play in the blink of an eye. The runner was in the basepath. The fielder was in the basepath and up the line.

I agree with this 100%.

Read the comments. Some poster says something similar, but a poster named "Dom" says it's perfect execution. Perfect? Damn near everything was wrong.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
I only have the NFHS rules to go by,but Malicious Contact involves neither malice nor intent. By definition it is excessive force. Depending on level this player either is not coached well or is intending to knock the ball loose through the force of the contact. If it is the former I am calling dead ball, malicious contact more for the safety of the players (runner included before she "breaks her freakin' neck'" (insert Longest Yard clip here). If the latter, I am calling malicious contact for the excessive force needed to knock the ball loose, the obstruction rule is in place to keep the runner from having to try to do this sort of thing. Either way, player safety DOES come into play, because if I DON"T call it, some personal injury lawyer is sure to be in the stands. Either way, dead ball, out.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2021
MI
Anyone else?
What should/could the runner have done?
Alternative solutions?

The runner should have just proceeded to run to 2b, count on the Umpire to enforce obstruction (if it applies, still open for discussion) OR, learn to just not screw around with the dancing back and forth and get her butt back to 1B at the start of this chipburger.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478