What would you call this?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

osagedr

Canadian Fastpitch Dad
Oct 20, 2016
Haa GETTIN' CHIPPY EHH
Its STILL FREAKIN HILARIOUS!

Its was intentional
It was just sloppy
It was intentional
It was sloppy
It was intentional
It was sloppy

View attachment 19958
Here comes another runner better decide,
intentionally trying to get to the next base,
Or
Take out the entire infield?!

I understand if you've never been around a sport where it is part of the official's duty to assess intent. But...it can be done. I know you can do it too if you try!

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
That was a mess all the way around. An entire practice could be designed around how to defend that better.

The defense of this is terrible.

In a run down, ball is held in a throwing position, so all fielders can see the ball. If the catcher had done that, the runner would have been out by a mile.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I understand if you've never been around a sport where it is part of the official's duty to assess intent. But...it can be done. I know you can do it too if you try!
Understand you being CHIPPY
Well aware that a tremendous amount of softball is based on opinion.
Balls and strikes for that matter.

Dont take it personally i found humor that such a flawed diving sliding tackle and an obviously high throw with defendor coming forward jumping in front of a runner sprinting may have created this collision. And Anyone thinking the runner intentionally was being mean.
In a way that may cause themself the most harm.

Simply will ask you @osagee
What do you think the runner should have done?
They were commited to sprinting.

osagedr

Canadian Fastpitch Dad
Oct 20, 2016

Dont take it personally i found humor that such a flawed diving sliding tackle and an obviously high throw with defendor coming forward jumping in front of a runner sprinting may have created this collision. And Anyone thinking the runner intentionally was being mean.

Similarly, I find it hilarious to assert that another's intent can't be assessed in sport, where officials in other sports do it all the time. Just hilarious. So funny! Haw haw haw really funny. Please don't take it personally; there's no need to get chippy. So, BADcatcher, we can definitely just be amused together!

Mar 10, 2020

I feel this is malicious contact by the runner putting her head down and taking our the fielder's legs. What say you?

What do i call this.
Fortunate to have 2 umpires.
With an active base ump in the best position to make the right call. Safe.

Aug 25, 2019
"What do you think the runner should have done?"
Tiptoed gently around the defender? Maybe some kind of spin move? Somersault over her?

USSSA RULES: The Runner is out:

B. slides illegally and causes illegal contact and/or illegally alters the actions of a fielder in the immediate act of making a play on her. PENALTY: The runner is out and the ball is dead immediately and interference is called. 50 15th Edition (Online Revised 1-2020) NOTE: Runners are never required to slide but, if the runner elects to slide, the slide shall be legal. C. does not legally attempt to avoid a fielder in the immediate act of making a play on her. PENALTY: The runner is out and the ball remains live unless interference is called. NOTE: Jumping, hurdling, and leaping are all legal attempts to avoid a fielder only if the fielder is lying on the ground.

Definition:

SLIDE. A legal slide can be either feet first or head first. If a runner slides feet first, at least one leg and buttock shall be on the ground. If a runner slides, the runner shall be within reach of the base with either a hand or a foot when the slide is completed. A slide is illegal if: A. The runner uses a rolling, cross-body or pop-up slide into the fielder. B. The runner’s raised leg is higher than the fielder’s knee when the fielder is in a standing position. C. The runner goes beyond the base and makes contact with or alters the play of the fielder. D. The runner slashes or kicks the fielder with either leg. E. The runner tries to injure the fielder.

Now, seems to me that slide was the rolling type, and plus, starting a slide 5 feet from the base with a fielder with the ball in front of you, I'd say she was not in reach of the base. I correct my OP and say it wasn't malicious contact, ( I don't think it was her intention to injure fielder) but an out from an illegal slide.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago

Give him a break. To him, that slide looked exactly like this play: