What would you call this?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Just to express how sensitive the game has gotten about defense not getting in the way. Or runners trying to avoid added contact.
(hence some rule changes)

This runner tried to jump over me at the exact time the throw reached home.
No ejection.
And i was not ejected as i stood upward tossing her over my shoulder.
20160706_102355-1.jpg
imo
runners going head first is generally an attemt to get a hand on the base.
Worst thing to do to take out a defender put our face, neck, back, arms in danger.
In this picture, i never thought this player was trying to take me out,
No slide or dive at all would have implicated malicious intent. Had she just plowed into me on her feet.
Feet first slide she probably would have had a better chance at not getting thrown to the ground. However she had to get threw me to get to the plate. I understand her diving.
To get a hand in!

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
:) its just the perfect time to post this again

Screenshot_2020-05-28-12-32-34-1.png
running bases...yep

Apr 30, 2018
I feel like she lowered her head because she was afraid of being hit by the throw. I see no intent, there is communication and a back pat after the play between her and the other player, I don't honestly see it being on purpose, just a hot mess all the way around.

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines

I feel this is malicious contact by the runner putting her head down and taking our the fielder's legs. What say you?

Well the runner was not in a real position to slide 15' away from 2B, so perhaps her view was blocked, but I think I would call her out for sacking the 2B. Obstruction? Did the fielder not have the ball? What I will say is this:

The ball should not be "carried" in the glove during a rundown, but in the throwing hand.
The catcher should not let the runner think she is in charge of the situation by stop and go jockeying with the runner. Don't cat and mouse!
The 1B should not be standing on the bag. Proud of the SS/2B moving up the line to make the tag, because the base-line in a rundown is not 60', it is a maximum of 40' and should be shrinking like a spider on a hot griddle. The 1B should have already be removing a slide back by the runner back into 1B from the runner's options.

Last edited:

osagedr

Canadian Fastpitch Dad
Oct 20, 2016
I'm curious. What part of it looks like an "attempt to injure" to you?

LOL...the part where the runner never looks back to check what the person with the ball is doing but instead runs 20 feet looking directly at the fielder who is going to receive the ball, can clearly see the base behind the fielder, then intentionally cut-blocks her helmet directly into the fielder's knees despite being six feet from second base.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
LOL...the part where the runner never looks back to check what the person with the ball is doing but instead runs 20 feet looking directly at the fielder who is going to receive the ball, can clearly see the base behind the fielder, then intentionally cut-blocks her helmet directly into the fielder's knees despite being six feet from second base.
LOL HILARIOUS...
for anyone to say what someone else's intent was.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Uh...actually incredibly common but thanks for playing.
Haa GETTIN' CHIPPY EHH
Its STILL FREAKIN HILARIOUS!

Its was intentional
It was just sloppy
It was intentional
It was sloppy
It was intentional
It was sloppy

Screenshot_2020-05-28-12-32-34-1.png
Here comes another runner better decide,
intentionally trying to get to the next base,
Or