What would be the right game time length in travel ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Yeah I know the history..thanks. So tell how the rules are setup for 7 innings vs 5 (for example).
They work either way for most but the game and rules were still designed for a 7 inning game; whether we like it, agree with it, or not. However, there are some rules that have been added to accommodate TB that limit the original intentions such as drop dead revert back, finish the inning, etc. It's nothing more than a money grab, which many of us agree on, since it maximizes the number of teams that can fit in a certain number of fields/ available facilities. Thus, just because they work, doesn't mean it doesn't compromise the game. How many college or high school softball games have you watched when the losing team ends up scoring runs in the 6th or 7th inning only to hold on and win the game? And you're welcome.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2013
All of them. Until Travel Ball was invented to cater to the Big D1 P5 schools (initially), the game was played for 7 innings, much like baseball for 9 innings. Just because baseball has now transitioned to Travel Ball as well at the younger ages to cater to college athletic scholarships doesn't mean that the rules changed from their initial intentions.
You don't play 9 inning in baseball until college so they already changed this rule. Even run rules are part of the real rules so in theory all games should just be 7 innings. I don't know how long it would take to play a 10U rec game at real rules.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
You don't play 9 inning in baseball until college so they already changed this rule. Even run rules are part of the real rules so in theory all games should just be 7 innings. I don't know how long it would take to play a 10U rec game at real rules.
Neither would I and I really wouldn't want to find out:D And the answer was to Pattar who is being a smart a$$ as usual although I love them either way. Serious question though. What is the length of a HS baseball game in your neck of the woods? We still play 9.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL

10U rec was my least favorite season in SB. Pitchers were on thier own for the 1st time, DD being one of them. Even with inning run rules we were lucky to get 4 innings in. 10U is where I started hearing just throw strikes.

For both rec and TB if pitching is there for both Teams it is a much more enjoyable game. Some posters here have posted good ideas how to make this happen.

Jun 8, 2016
How many college or high school softball games have you watched when the losing team ends up scoring runs in the 6th or 7th inning only to hold on and win the game? And you're welcome.

I have also seen lead changes in the bottom of the 5th and if a regulation game was 9 innings you could say the same thing..In fact if you are implying that a longer game gives a more reliable outcome in terms of the better team winning then they should play untimed 12 inning games 😝

You could just say the game is designed to not have a time limit as opposed to sticking to your 7 inning comment 😉 ..unless you think there are particular rules which work best with 7 innings. I doubt there was/is anything magic about 7 innings and it probably just came about due to some misogynist thinking females couldn’t play as many innings as males..

Like I said previously in this thread, for Softball which is supposed to be about development I don’t really care whether it is timed or not..that said I don’t coach…lol. My guess is that over the course of a season the times you get screwed by the clock probably evens out the times you benefit from it 🤷🏽‍♂️

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2019
MLB added international tiebreaker rule in the 11th inning. Things change.

Jun 11, 2013
Neither would I and I really wouldn't want to find out:D And the answer was to Pattar who is being a smart a$$ as usual although I love them either way. Serious question though. What is the length of a HS baseball game in your neck of the woods? We still play 9.
NY, CA, NV . I didn't think anyone played 9 in HS. Where are you that they play 9?

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
imo
Whatever the time is...
Should include both teams getting to bat through the final inning and not reverting back.
Because reverting back can create controlling time to control the outcome of the game,
THAT shouldn't be part of the game.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom