What type change up is this?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
This old thread (linked below) helped me out. In it, Rick Pauly is stating he doesn't like the flip change, and based on the info it seems like the flip is only realized in lower age groups and not really effective. Due to the slow motion and really trying to pull up with fingers to get tru back spin.

I attached an Amanda Scarborough video as well and at the 55 sec mark shows herself pulling up and back with the wrist for backspin flip. However right after that you can see her knuckles are not facing the catcher and the ball is being released more when knuckles face 3rd base and thumb to hip. After the ball is released with a more side spin (moving the ball away and down from a RHB) the hand may feel like it is flipping i guess. So maybe it is a progression that the older pitchers can control the flip change, but it truly isn't a flip change in the tru sense of the word?

i guess i am still curious if there is a difference in a horseshoe change and this style of 'flip' change.

and maybe i am way off base, but i feel this may be similar to a 'roll over' drop ball, where the feel is that the fingers roll over and in front of the ball to impart more spin, but the ball is already truly gone well before that roll over is done by the hand. I think the ball is already released on the flip change before the 'feel' of the 'flip' actually happens.

I guess at this point, i will still focus on the sames things, and have my DD try to get hand around and the feel of the knuckles to the catcher and flip, however, i think i will be expecting and happy with side spin and a 'flip' follow thru.

https://www.discussfastpitch.com/threads/problems-with-the-change-up.17432/

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Correct the turnover drop actually happens with the fingers pulling up on the ball and the follow through is turning the hand over.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2014
Raleigh,NC
Thanks. How is she throwing it and what is her hand positioning or at least the cues she uses? Thanks.

We had to use several cues...cat claws, thumb to your body, tea time(pinky to the sky at release). What helps a lot is she uses a drop curve a lot. So combining these cues to a pitch that felt natural resulted in a change up. We had to keep working since she struggled to get the speed off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 28, 2017
We had to use several cues...cat claws, thumb to your body, tea time(pinky to the sky at release). What helps a lot is she uses a drop curve a lot. So combining these cues to a pitch that felt natural resulted in a change up. We had to keep working since she struggled to get the speed off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great looking pitch. DD throws one very similar. Pinky goes around her front hip and ball comes out the back of her hand. Great pitch with good movement. DD has to really spin it or its to hard. Top pitch is 55, normally 53, when good the change is 42, sometimes to fast 47 or so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
re.todd22