What to focus on???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 17, 2020

DD has pitched 3 yrs of travel and is in 13U. She has been working on going from a pusher to a puller since Jan of 2019. She has a bad habit of pronating too early instead of leading with her pinky. Spending most of our practice time doing lock-it-in and 9 O'clock drills. I noticed in the video that her timing is off a bit when she detaches from the mound. Her arm is past 12 o'clock when she detaches. Her PC is saying to speed up the arm. I don't see how this will help - timing or learning IR. Not sure if we should make an adjustment to improve her timing (what?) or just continue to concentrate on IR drills for now.
Thoughts!

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Old habits still present...
her pitching shoulder is way too active... focus more on posture and stability .... see if that shoulder quiets down and allows her to whip and brush without any forward effort

Jan 17, 2020
Yup - old habits. I see what you're saying about the shoulder. I'll tell her to keep everything back on a 45 after contact with the stride foot.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Ouch, that looks tough on the shoulder. Definitely not opening enough over the top or staying open. The timing isn't that far off and is more a result of arm speed than a cause.

Sep 29, 2014
Would be interesting to get a better angle and closer....seems to me that even though she seems to be doing everything right for launch its not aggressive enough and just turns into a strong big step instead of true launch. Maybe if we can get her to push off harder it might be sooner. Also looks like she is back heel down at release which creates problems of its own. Finally I can't tell because of the distance angle but it looks like she is actually bent arm at 3, straight arm at noon for just a split second, then back to bent arm at 9. we want the bent arm at 9 but most pitchers you see will be locked arm from backswing thru 3 (even though Hillhouse teaches otherwise just telling you what I see from all top pitchers) then as we come up to 12 we bend and keep it bent.

But I am just giving a complete guess on all this becasue it's simply a terrible angle and distance to go making any kind of concrete statement that I would begin to change anything.

Jan 17, 2020
You're both right, even without seeing it at a better angle. She needs to go toe first then heel and needs to get way more aggressive on the push. I'll remind her to stay back on a 45 at release and be in a reverse stacked posture. Kind of hard to whip the ball when the shoulder and upper body is pushing the ball. Timing should improve with a more aggressive lower body approach. I think we're heading in the right direction.

Thanks for taking the time and I'll try to get a better angle next time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28