What to do when a coach teaches something blatantly wrong and dangerous

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 5, 2017
The fact that she made the comment about her daughter hitting and yours not would make me leave. That's low class no matter how you look at it.

May 9, 2019
In most cases the job of a team coach is to help players practice hitting, not teach hitting mechanics.

Agreed. However there are some parents who aren't giving their DD's private lessons, who go into TB, or even recball thinking that the coaches will teach them mechanics. I was one of those parents in the beginning!

I think the OP should seriously consider looking for another team though. If his version of the story is in fact 100%, then no way I stay on a team where a coach acts like a child.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
As noted earlier, the team should mostly help a player practice their hitting, not spend time teaching mechanics to a player who is taking private lessons. As the kids I deal with are all older, every conversation about technique is a two-way conversation. Most any conversation I have with a player about hitting involves a parent when the player is getting outside instruction and/or the parent works with them. I've seen unorthodox mechanics (mostly with stance) in practice that I've asked about, and discovered that the kid is really effective with that particular technique. There's more than one way to put the bat on the ball, and I rarely push advice on a player who is performing well.

Yes, the instruction offered appears sketchy, but what would concern me more would be the coach's reaction and behavior. If your account is what happened, I'd find another team.

Dec 11, 2010
Hummingbird- That is definitely a situation where a team coach can help out or at least keep bad habits from starting.

Nov 22, 2019
This was the group text from the coach parents got yesterday before practice: "I also want to make it clear to parents, if you wish to stay at practices you are to sit or stand n watch. I can't have parents swinging bats or interrupting practices. Technically parents aren't even supposed to be in the cages but we allow it since we are nice. If we find it to be an issue the parent will be asked to wait in car or the other room where they can watch through the window. We are there to Teach the girls n interruptions cause the girls to be distracted."

It was pretty much what I expected, but did not make my wife happy.

Sep 29, 2014
As noted earlier, the team should mostly help a player practice their hitting, not spend time teaching mechanics to a player who is taking private lessons. As the kids I deal with are all older, every conversation about technique is a two-way conversation. Most any conversation I have with a player about hitting involves a parent when the player is getting outside instruction and/or the parent works with them. I've seen unorthodox mechanics (mostly with stance) in practice that I've asked about, and discovered that the kid is really effective with that particular technique. There's more than one way to put the bat on the ball, and I rarely push advice on a player who is performing well.

Yes, the instruction offered appears sketchy, but what would concern me more would be the coach's reaction and behavior. If your account is what happened, I'd find another team.
This is really my bottom line....I might mention something but I'm not pushing anything if you are performing.

IF YOU ARE NOT PERFORMING....I will tell you exactly what I am seeing that is causing her not to perform, you can listen or not listen I don't really care but then don't come asking me why Suzie is batting at the bottom of the line up and sitting on the bench for bracket play....it is the rare coach that will not put a player that is producing in the lineup and it's usually because of an attitude issue and not permanent.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Was the first time you approached the coach during the middle of a session? That's a really bad time, unless you have a really good rapport with the coach (it doesn't sound like you do). I'm guessing that you're going to have a pretty difficult time with getting your message across.

Also, this might be a good time to teach your DD about the smile-nod-"yes, coach" response while continuing to do what she's being taught by her PAID hitting instructor.

Feb 21, 2017
For any player taking lessons too many instructions are bad. Imagine when your child drives, you would never want multiple sets of instructions given while driving down the highway for the first time. You keep it simple so as a HC all I would be reinforcing are staying on plane, focus, timing and approach and if I saw any mechanic issues I would video and suggest the hitting instructor look at it. Unfortunately too many people think they need to interject stuff and make 100 adjustments to prove they can coach or maybe they like to hear themselves talk. Either way you don't need to mess with something that works.

Also based on "your daughter doesn't hit like mine" comment, your coach is in it for the wrong reason. That is a bad sign, I would really think about your connection to this team.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802