What to do... How to help/fix?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
We are a mid-level 18A Team, with 3 pitchers. #1 is pretty good except she has medical issues and she could last a whole game, or only half a game depending on how she is feeling. The problem is #2 and #3. We have allowed the catchers to call their own game (it has created some problems tracking pitches) and I am not sure if the pitchers are missing or the pitch calling is questionable, or a combination of both. In any rate, the #2 numbers after 15 Fall Games; 16.1 IP, 22 ER, 30 Hits, 9.43 ERA, .380 BAA... the #3 is even a little worse. The problem is in our area there are numerous 16/18 teams looking for pitchers, so replacing them isn't an option :)
#2 and #3 say they go to a pitching instructor, both don't use IR techniques. In the meantime, the HC and myself have decided to start calling pitches from the dugout to begin next Spring (mainly to track pitches), and readdress the catchers calling themselves later.
My question is during the Winter we will have once a week gym practice for 2 hours, what can I do with these pitchers, because being that ineffective is killing us as a team. I don't believe they are throwing on their own at all... they say they are tho.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
We are a mid-level 18A Team, with 3 pitchers. #1 is pretty good except she has medical issues and she could last a whole game, or only half a game depending on how she is feeling. The problem is #2 and #3. We have allowed the catchers to call their own game (it has created some problems tracking pitches) and I am not sure if the pitchers are missing or the pitch calling is questionable, or a combination of both. In any rate, the #2 numbers after 15 Fall Games; 16.1 IP, 22 ER, 30 Hits, 9.43 ERA, .380 BAA... the #3 is even a little worse. The problem is in our area there are numerous 16/18 teams looking for pitchers, so replacing them isn't an option :)
#2 and #3 say they go to a pitching instructor, both don't use IR techniques. In the meantime, the HC and myself have decided to start calling pitches from the dugout to begin next Spring (mainly to track pitches), and readdress the catchers calling themselves later.
My question is during the Winter we will have once a week gym practice for 2 hours, what can I do with these pitchers, because being that ineffective is killing us as a team. I don't believe they are throwing on their own at all... they say they are tho.

Well, you have major issues.

15 games at 18U-A should mean close to 90 innings pitched and your #2 only has 16 of them. I would have expected to see at least 5 games worth of pitching and you barely have 3 out of her. And if your #3 is worse than that, it means your #1 is had close to 9 games pitched even though she physically can't pitch the whole game sometimes. You really need them to eat more innings or at least pitch more innings.

First thing - you need to find out and talk to their instructors - even if it is to confirm they exist. And get their opinion on what they are working on and then figure out what you can do to accelerate it. And yes, if this is what you have I would absolutely have the pitch at your winter practices. It will be the only time they even think about softball that week, so you might as well use the time. At this point in time, they have either decided that end of HS is it for softball and they are starting to shut down the commitment or they are ramping up in prep for college softball (not as pitchers by the sound of it).

Calling pitches isn't going to make much difference. Girls with 9+ ERA's are not working with a lot of tools.

Your #1 must be really good for you to consider the team a mid-level A team because these two do not appear to be 'A' level pitchers. Either that or you hit the ball REAL well and score 6+ a game.

Sep 29, 2014
If they do go to a pitching coach I think it is 100% OK to talk to them; just remember you don't want to change anything about their pitching coaching you just want to discuss the players strengths and weaknesses so you can come up with the best strategy for calling pitches, are they working on new ptiches, etc. You want to compliment whatever it is they are trying to do even if it is completely wrong. Also OK to have pitchers and catchers be early or stay late, again just to see what they have been working on and maybe even working on some drills you have already talked about with the pitching coach not a marathon session or anything just 20-30 minutes....but yeah averaging two hits per innings is not going to get it done on any level...is the competition tough? if the #1 pitches half game then one of these two come in is the drop off noticeable? Also if you want to start calling pitches might as well do it now so they are ready come spring.

p.s. to marriard's point I would do a simply quadrant test i used to do with my 12/14U kids. Just stand behind them as they pitch and call 1,2,3,4 quadrants high,low, inside and outside....if they can't get the ball in the quadrant about close to 75% of the time you aren't going to gain much by calling pitches, although sometimes it is worth it if they have decent change ups to time those at the right time.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Well, you have major issues.

15 games at 18U-A should mean close to 90 innings pitched and your #2 only has 16 of them. I would have expected to see at least 5 games worth of pitching and you barely have 3 out of her. And if your #3 is worse than that, it means your #1 is had close to 9 games pitched even though she physically can't pitch the whole game sometimes. You really need them to eat more innings or at least pitch more innings.

First thing - you need to find out and talk to their instructors - even if it is to confirm they exist. And get their opinion on what they are working on and then figure out what you can do to accelerate it. And yes, if this is what you have I would absolutely have the pitch at your winter practices. It will be the only time they even think about softball that week, so you might as well use the time. At this point in time, they have either decided that end of HS is it for softball and they are starting to shut down the commitment or they are ramping up in prep for college softball (not as pitchers by the sound of it).

Calling pitches isn't going to make much difference. Girls with 9+ ERA's are not working with a lot of tools.

Your #1 must be really good for you to consider the team a mid-level A team because these two do not appear to be 'A' level pitchers. Either that or you hit the ball REAL well and score 6+ a game.

Well the weather has been pretty horrible here for softball. I think only a couple of those games have even gone 6 innings, so the IP are correct. The #1 has thrown 26.2 IP as comparison.

Thanks for the input.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
If they do go to a pitching coach I think it is 100% OK to talk to them; just remember you don't want to change anything about their pitching coaching you just want to discuss the players strengths and weaknesses so you can come up with the best strategy for calling pitches, are they working on new ptiches, etc. You want to compliment whatever it is they are trying to do even if it is completely wrong. Also OK to have pitchers and catchers be early or stay late, again just to see what they have been working on and maybe even working on some drills you have already talked about with the pitching coach not a marathon session or anything just 20-30 minutes....but yeah averaging two hits per innings is not going to get it done on any level...is the competition tough? if the #1 pitches half game then one of these two come in is the drop off noticeable? Also if you want to start calling pitches might as well do it now so they are ready come spring.

p.s. to marriard's point I would do a simply quadrant test i used to do with my 12/14U kids. Just stand behind them as they pitch and call 1,2,3,4 quadrants high,low, inside and outside....if they can't get the ball in the quadrant about close to 75% of the time you aren't going to gain much by calling pitches, although sometimes it is worth it if they have decent change ups to time those at the right time.

Interesting enough, if both come in for relief they do better than if they start. Not really an option to have the #1 start every game though :). It depends on the team we are playing, if it is a comparable hitting team to us, then yes the drop off is pretty noticeable. It's frustrating that we will get a lead, and give it up the next inning. It's not that they don't have the skills, they both throw 57-59 (#1 throws 60 or so), & have a decent Change, that's where I am dumbfounded about the productivity, or lack of

Aug 20, 2017
I call pitches just for the simple fact that I need to know what verbal ques to use on misses with each individual pitch. Also, I’ve found that pitchers are more comfortable having the coach call the pitches. Just my experience

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478