What to do for a really bad bruise?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2009
I was sittng on a bucket while my daughter was pitching and I missed the ball. The ball hit me on the side of my calf really hard (well I guess about 45 miles an hour). It started to swell and turn purple immediatly. Is there anything you can put on a bruise to make the pain go away? I have heard you can ice it right away but I did not have ice at the time. I guess it is time to buy shin guards.

Jan 6, 2009
Texas
Elizabeth, within two weeks, she is going to hit you in that same spot. Get the shin guards and even more importantly - WEAR THEM. (I bought them - just didnt put them on). Making the pain go away, aspirin or whiskey.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I would continue to ice and elevate the leg.

My experience is that it will take about 3 weeks to heal.

Now you know why some of us hate to see young girls slap their thigh, while pitching. (Those bruises hurt.)

Nov 1, 2008
i like the ones on the front of the ankle. those hurt forever lol. i keep saying i'm gonna get some shin guards but i haven't yet. i took one on the left earlobe earlier this week. it make 2 small rips in the lobe where the ear was pulled back. that one hurts too.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
There is a reason that catchers wear gear, you know. :) I wear a game face for every student. I wear shin guards, if the girl is throwing over 40 mph. I don't own a chest protector.

I guess I should have asked for one for Mother's Day.

Jun 6, 2009
ahhh...... the pitcher's dad. Brings back many fond memories. And many not so fond.

As for the bruise, not much to do except ice and tincture of time.

For the future, the best advice is what DonnieS already said. For me, I was always too macho (read stupid) to wear any protective equipment. Now that I'm old, I wish I had.

However I'm readily identifiable at any tournament. I'm the one you walk by while your thinking, "Wow...wonder what happened to that old man's legs. The're all covered with bony knots." :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45