What style of cleats are best for pitching?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 25, 2022
No, I'm only suggesting turfs because we ran into numerous scenarios at tournaments/clinics, indoor facilities, etc., where they were required.

The only synthetic field we've played on was an issue for my kid. She has regular plastic cleats and couldn't pivot in warmups. She didn't pitch game 1 so we had two hours before her start and managed to track down a shoe store in time and pick up a pair of Puma running shoes that look like the worst running shoes ever, but they have very flat soles and worked out great.

Jan 25, 2022
Went shopping yesterday and ended up with a pair of Adidas Purehustle 2 Elite spikes. They're very nice and were head and shoulders more comfortable than the other brands. I was also pleasantly surprised at the selection of women's cleats offered at Dick's.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
This might be the most shocking statement I've ever read on DFP. Make no mistake, there have been some doozies, but this is definitely up there.
I agree wholeheartedly. I don't think I've gotten a pair of female cleats at Dick's in four years. You want soccer cleats? They have plenty.

Jun 27, 2021
Mine early on wore mizuno as it had a small built in toe drag that was durable. Then went to NB in HS and we got the toe dipped with tuff toe.

Nov 17, 2017
My daughter says the Ringor Pitching toe digs into her foot and it's uncomfortable....

We went thru some New Balance....

I have a question tho... A girl from our Organization pitches in college now and says she has used the same New Balance Non pitching shoes for almost 2 Seasons.... My daughter can damage them in 1 Day!!!!!

Are the College Shoes different than what I get at Dicks? I'm thinking they must be?????

Oct 4, 2018
Are turf shoes ever preferable when pitching from dirt? I used to think yes, but I'm starting now to think no. I dunno. It'd be easier to pivot.

There's only one synthetic field anywhere near us so I wouldn't buy turf shoes unless they had other benefits.

Nah.

No issues at all pivoting in spikes. And you really need the spikes for other aspects (fielding, baserunning, etc.).

We go with Ringors. Love how well they hold up.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
I have a question tho... A girl from our Organization pitches in college now and says she has used the same New Balance Non pitching shoes for almost 2 Seasons.... My daughter can damage them in 1 Day!!!!!
A good leap in the pitching motion can make your shoe last longer ;)
Seriously though, a heavy foot drag will grind through the shoe faster. I teach go light on the back foot and ground contact is on the toe, not the instep. But I'm not teaching that for the shoe's sake.

May 20, 2015
we faced a pitcher back in 14u, she was the best we'd seen to that point.....and relative to her/our age at the time, she might be the best we'd faced, period

she threw on old school Jordan high tops

Jan 25, 2022
This might be the most shocking statement I've ever read on DFP. Make no mistake, there have been some doozies, but this is definitely up there.

LOL. They had a dozen or so choices. That seemed good to me. Nike, NB, UA and Adidas. Hibbet's had two. There's a Dunham's as well, but they were closed and I'd be surprised if they had any more than five. It's kind of a crappy store. Dick's had a few models in spikes, a bunch in different plastics, and one pair of turf treads.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28