What rules if any govern excessive hit by pitches?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 30, 2018
Had an interesting game at a 12u mixed C-league tournament this weekend. Opposing pitcher was throwing 50mph (clocked on a pocket radar) but had control issues. She drilled 5 of the first 9 batters. After 4, the ump called the opposing coach aside and asked him to have his pitcher back off and try to improve her control. She then threw a couple of hard strikes followed by another fast hit by pitch. Ump told the coach she was done pitching. Opposing parents where being pretty nasty to the ump and to our head coach. They were yelling at the ump that he couldn't force them to pull the pitcher (she was there only pitcher). Opposing coach relented and put another girl in to finish the inning. She had at least knew the general mechanics of pitching, but was all over the place and hit another batter (at a slower speed luckily). Our girls were afraid to even go to the plate. On a side note to the general mentality of the team/coaches, the left fielder was the only one wearing a fielding mask. Are there any general safety rules that allow an ump to force a pitching change?

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2018
Had an interesting game at a 12u mixed C-league tournament this weekend. Opposing pitcher was throwing 50mph (clocked on a pocket radar) but had control issues. She drilled 5 of the first 9 batters. After 4, the ump called the opposing coach aside and asked him to have his pitcher back off and try to improve her control. She then threw a couple of hard strikes followed by another fast hit by pitch. Ump told the coach she was done pitching. Opposing parents where being pretty nasty to the ump and to our head coach. They were yelling at the ump that he couldn't force them to pull the pitcher (she was there only pitcher). Opposing coach relented and put another girl in to finish the inning. She had at least knew the general mechanics of pitching, but was all over the place and hit another batter (at a slower speed luckily). Our girls were afraid to even go to the plate. On a side note to the general mentality of the team/coaches, the left fielder was the only one wearing a mask. Are there any general safety rules that allow an ump to force a pitching change?

just curious on the mask issue. Are you referring to a fielding mask or a medical type mask

May 16, 2012
Missouri
Had an interesting game at a 12u mixed C-league tournament this weekend. Opposing pitcher was throwing 50mph (clocked on a pocket radar) but had control issues. She drilled 5 of the first 9 batters. After 4, the ump called the opposing coach aside and asked him to have his pitcher back off and try to improve her control. She then threw a couple of hard strikes followed by another fast hit by pitch. Ump told the coach she was done pitching. Opposing parents where being pretty nasty to the ump and to our head coach. They were yelling at the ump that he couldn't force them to pull the pitcher (she was there only pitcher). Opposing coach relented and put another girl in to finish the inning. She had at least knew the general mechanics of pitching, but was all over the place and hit another batter (at a slower speed luckily). Our girls were afraid to even go to the plate. On a side note to the general mentality of the team/coaches, the left fielder was the only one wearing a mask. Are there any general safety rules that allow an ump to force a pitching change?

There are no rules that give an Ump the authority to have a pitcher removed unless he feels she's doing it intentionally.

Apr 30, 2018
just curious on the mask issue. Are you referring to a fielding mask or a medical type mask
Fielding masks. In an earlier game one of our pitchers got drilled by a line drive into her throwing forearm. For a bit we weren't sure if it was broken or not. Luckily it looks like it was more of a glancing shot than a direct hit since the ball continued towards the shortstop.. She has a wicked bruise was unable to play the rest of the tournament. I shudder at the thought of what would have happened if it was a head shot. Fielding masks are mandatory on our team.

Jun 19, 2016
Fielding masks. In an earlier game one of our pitchers got drilled by a line drive into her throwing forearm. For a bit we weren't sure if it was broken or not. Luckily it looks like it was more of a glancing shot than a direct hit since the ball continued towards the shortstop.. She has a wicked bruise was unable to play the rest of the tournament. I shudder at the thought of what would have happened if it was a head shot. Fielding masks are mandatory on our team.

I definitely believe that all pitchers should wear a mask but I will note that when my DD gets hit it is usually in the legs. The legs can be the hardest area for a pitcher to defend themselves with their glove.

Jun 19, 2016
12C pitchers are often wild. Occasionally, you will get a 12B or 12A pitcher that is just having a bad day. With 10-12 year olds you never have a sure thing.

I have seen a lot of hit batters and never seen the umpire do anything but point to 1B at 12U.

Nov 22, 2019
Minnesota, USA
Our infielders all wear masks whether they want to or not, optional for the outfield. At this point it is just plain stupid to not wear a mask in the infield, there are zero legitimate reasons to not wear one even at the college level.

Jul 14, 2018
A kid who throws 50 mph playing C-level at 12U? That’s ridiculous. C-level kids are, by definition, just beginners, there’s no way they have the ability to judge a pitch that’s traveling that fast to be moving inside, and have the reaction time to get out of the way.

That’s a tough spot for a coach. While it’s grossly inappropriate for that pitcher to be playing C-level, you also welcome the opportunity for your hitters to get a look at a solid pitcher. But if she’s hitting everyone, the girls are going to be terrified.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
Our infielders all wear masks whether they want to or not, optional for the outfield. At this point it is just plain stupid to not wear a mask in the infield, there are zero legitimate reasons to not wear one even at the college level.
I really do not understand the thought of it being stupid not wearing one in the IF. I am a fan of all pitchers and 3B wearing them but MIF's rarely have the same issues. If MIF's have to wear them why make it optional in the OF? Some of the worst hops I have seen have been in the grass and the only time my DD took one anywhere around her face was in the OF on a bad hop.

To the OP I hinestly do nt think it is th eumpires place to force the change. I know it stinks but wild pitchers are part of the game. If it was intentional toss her but if she is young and learning to pitch it really isnt fair to the pitcher. How will she improve?

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
A kid who throws 50 mph playing C-level at 12U? That’s ridiculous. C-level kids are, by definition, just beginners, there’s no way they have the ability to judge a pitch that’s traveling that fast to be moving inside, and have the reaction time to get out of the way.

That’s a tough spot for a coach. While it’s grossly inappropriate for that pitcher to be playing C-level, you also welcome the opportunity for your hitters to get a look at a solid pitcher. But if she’s hitting everyone, the girls are going to be terrified.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why is she at the wrong level? If she cannot throw strikes she is a C pitcher regardless of how hard she throws.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802