What rules do you have for playing?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
School has their rules. I'm cool with that.

Softball is not something I am willing to take away. There are plenty of other things to be used as motivation.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Expectations are a very personal preference, and should be individualized for each kid, based on their capabilities. I expected DD on the honor roll (at least B, sometimes A) because when she worked at it she could. Middle child I expect on A roll every time because he can. Last child we're happy that he makes honor roll, and we still encouragingly push him to keep it up or do better. We were thrilled he made A once.
One incentive I used was if they made A roll, they get to choose a nice place where they want to eat.

I've never had to talk to them about cutting extracurriculars, it's pretty extreme that would be the reason for poor grades. But I'm with hb_hound that school comes first, and if that's what it takes to get a kid's attention to get their grades back up, then I'd do it. Probably be more for a lack of effort than just not understanding the material.

I agree the grades in middle school don't count, per se, but what they are learning during those years is the basis for what's in HS. If they fall behind early, it's tougher to catch up.
Flash, I think what your son did is very admirable, but I think his path is a little less common than most.

Apr 20, 2015
8th grade daughter. Regular smart student not gifted. Struggled a bit in 6th and 7th grade more with desire than material. Any class grade below a B ....not just an assignment but an overall grade she had to call her coach personally and explain why she would not be attending practice or games. Her coaches were very supportive and often ask the girls about school and praised them for their achievements.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Our HS rules are a 2.00 GPA minimum. We have had very few players miss games for this reason.

I'm not surprised because that's not a very high bar. There isn't a HS in the country where presence, a pulse, and a reasonable attempt at all assigned work won't generate a "C". It's a solid pathway to a career in food service after dropping out of that JUCO.

Oct 3, 2019
Our HS rules are a 2.00 GPA minimum. We have had very few players miss games for this reason. They ususally were late with an assignment. Once turned in and graded they could play. The other rule relates to alcohol/substance abuse. If arrested/caught at a party you lose 20 % of the remaining games. If you turn yourself in it goes down to 10%. That is for the first offense. Sad to say we have had a few players fall into this category. The second offense is 50% of games, 3rd offense is all games, and 4th offense is a ban from participating.
I'm not surprised because that's not a very high bar. There isn't a HS in the country where presence, a pulse, and a reasonable attempt at all assigned work won't generate a "C". It's a solid pathway to a career in food service after dropping out of that JUCO.
Ouch! Sounds like you take it a bit too personally.

Apr 1, 2017
Our tb team requires the girls maintain a 3.0 to play.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

3.0 seems high as a play/don't play for a team. And I'm not saying that trying to keep the star pitcher/bad student playing.

I can understand that as an individual parent, that knows the specifics of their child and how they perform in school. However, as a manager, I'm not asking my players about specific grades. Honestly, it's none of my business to know those details if they don't want to share. I encourage all of them to work hard in school, but everyone has a different level of what hard work/good grades are. Even with my own twins, math comes easy to the one, and the other has to work hard to get B's.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
Ours has to maintain her grades above a "C",. She has a 3.75 unweighted and a 3.96 weighted so she does pretty well in school. I understand there are some subjects that are harder than others for her. If she does have a "C" through the semester she is expected to work hard on it and not let it go lower. It honestly has been good for her study skills and time management.

May 1, 2018
I have a 7th and 6th grader: All commitments matter. If you commit to be at softball, you will be there. Grades are a different commitment that we need to work on. But I won't let one commitment fall cause the other did. We have to get both of them on track. Now that might mean you don't hang out with your friends, or talk on the phone or whatever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802