WHAT POSITION TO PLAY, Who Decides?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Great job Coach.

We actually had the exact opposite scenario. During our tryouts, we do 2 things:

1. We run drills at several areas and make ALL girls go through them.
2. We ask what position(s) they LOVE to play, and what positions they can play if asked. (we love versatility).

This girl came to us as a 1B, but during our drills, she was one of the best OF I had seen (12u). Her footwork and glove work was great, and her ability to read plays was next level. Plus, she had a pretty decent arm. We offered her a spot and now she OWNS the OF on our team. She has bought into the role, and loves it. She is somewhere around 10-11 in terms of hitting (out of 12 girls), but I would be a poor Coach to not get her in the lineup anyway possible (and that is often Flex). She never sits.

As Hawk said, sometimes it takes a Coach to recognize other talents and help them find success.
Guidance!
Like players given opportunity.
Good developing player stories!

As players like these move forward they have experienced options to understand better what they may like to dial in their skillsets!
To pick priority position and secondary.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2018
Texas
I tell my own DD 3 things:

1. Your #1 goal is to be in the top 9 regardless of where you play on defense. Get in the game. You achieve that by being great on offense.
2. If you want to play a specific position, keep getting better and earn it. When you earn, keep getting better so you don't lose it.
3. If you haven't earned it yet, keep working hard, keep fighting for it. Don't give up.
^^^^^ This is GOLD and every parent should hear this. It is the philosophy DW and I have for our DD. It is yours to earn. As a parent we should all want our DD's to learn this or else why are we having them play the "game"? For us it's so that DD can learn those skills that will make her a successful adult one day.

When DD tried out and was offered to join her current team, she was just looking for opportunities. (previous team was daddy ball all the way and she was on the outside) She went into the tryout wanting to play 1st and coach told us "I like her at 3rd". She had never played 3rd before and the thought never crossed our minds. After some discussion, he insisted 3rd would be the spot for her. We put our trust in him and now she is a rocking it. Moral: this is a collaboration especially in the younger levels. Parents, DD's, and coaches have to work together to find the right answer for the team and the player.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Sports can teach us...
if we apply ourselves we can achieve a goal.

Great life lesson!

Glad to read these responses!

May 1, 2018
This is a good story of a young developing player. I like you asked her ....not told her!!!!!
Nice to hear communication with a new player! To hear her response only got to play outfield suggests she did not come from a situation that offered more than one option. Obviously a taller player is a good posible choice for 1st base. Sounds like you offered her opportunity to try! Nice!

Think as players get older tend to know what position they like to play and skills get defined for each. As well some younger kids mentally understand sooner and find what like too!

I try to give every opportunity for a girl to "prove" herself as possible during tryouts especially. The girl from my story is a heck of a player now, great hitter and 1st baseman.....If I never tried her at first she wouldn't have made our team as an outfielder. So glad she was open and I asked. She also has become my DD's best friend.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802