What pitches should you teach first?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 20, 2008
With both of my daughters we learned fastball, palmball change-up (with no wrist snap), which is not the change-up either uses now, and when those were able to be spotted the next pitch was peel-drop which both still use sometimes...IMO the mechanics and releases on those are close enough that younger pitchers don't mess up anything...

Feb 13, 2009
North Carolina
Keeping in mind that I work with mostly young beginning pitchers.

Fastball for strikes
Fastball for location
Changeup

When they are ready I will begin with inside and outside curves to teach them ball rotation. As the curves develop they move into the rise and drop unless their body has not developed enough for this. I have other tricks for these younger skilled pitchers whose bodies are not ready for the advanced pitches. You can give the allusion of multiple pitches while increasing her control of her body as well as her pitches.

Since each kid is different I will sometimes throw in some different movement pitches based on the natural rotation and development of the individual girl.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
We learn pitches in this order:
Fastball
Changeup
Fastball hitting spots
Peel drop

at 12U if a pitcher has a good fastball and changeup she will generally be successful.

at 14U she needs to hit locations as well as have her changeup perfected to be successful. If she has a breaking pitch that actually breaks she will be a tough opponent.

JMO

May 7, 2008
I start with straight pitch with location. Then change up, curve, drop. They need to throw JUNK. Fast balls get you hit !:)

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
I like Bill Hillhouses approach.
Fastball
Peel Drop
Change up
Learning to us the fingers instead of the wrist to create spin is very important , since most colleges now are looking at a 20 RPS as the minimum for a pitcher.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I go with fastball, backhand changeup, then drop. I used to teach mostly rollover drop, but have actually gone the other way and mostly teach peel drop because I think it's easier for most to learn. I was reminded recently, however, that it's good to experiment.

I was working with a girl who was having trouble throwing the "cut under" curve, so I decided to have her try the "over the top" method instead. She still hasn't quite mastered the curve yet. But she's developed a heckuva rollover drop -- much better and sharper than her peel drop.

So as Chuck Berry would say, it goes to show you never can tell.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rathouse