What needs attention before college in the Fall....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
is this a normal rear heel action? Looks like rear heel comes up and knee is getting pushed down and in. Had always heard you need to put pressure in the rear inside heel.
Yes and notice the front inside of the foot. That area "rolls over" on the side where the ball of the foot area goes on its side and then the rotation continues where the hitter comes onto the tip of the toe. I believe in some hitting circles this is called, "the move." There are some who say, "take the inside ankle toward the ground." There are some who say, "take the back knee downward to chase the front knee." There are some who say that this is not something you coach but rather happens. Some very good college coaches have drills to help hitters feel this action.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Does she also post up on the front leg then during the swing? or is that an effect of the incorrect load and fixing the load will fix the 'all forward'?

posting up against the front leg is correct. What happens before is the issue. When your front foot landing is your ‘GO’ it gets really hard to time pitches. Even if there the same speed; for example, different locations.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
is this a normal rear heel action? Looks like rear heel comes up and knee is getting pushed down and in. Had always heard you need to put pressure in the rear inside heel.

Fanboi, I guess I don't know .. I was just trying to share his fall (release) into both legs against a stretching core.. This is what allows him to feel and look weightless with both feet grounded..

IXkvIz1.gif

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
posting up against the front leg is correct. What happens before is the issue. When your front foot landing is your ‘GO’ it gets really hard to time pitches. Even if there the same speed; for example, different locations.
You'd better be at 'go' or 'no' before the foot lands.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
A good hitter is thinking, "yes, yes, yes, (yes - go) or yes, yes, yes, (yes - NO). At that moment, which happens in 4 tenths of a second, that back hip has started. Those hands have come in to connection and are already riding that connection. That is why it is so hard to check a swing. In fact, that part of the sequence is seriously important and should be practiced. When I am throwing front toss or throwing real BP, I don't want to see my hitters just standing there and taking a pitch regardless of where that pitch is. I want them checking that swing. In that way they prepare for the top of the line pitching. I teach my hitters to have a running start so they aren't at the mercy of a pitch who throws the heat.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
Fanboi, I guess I don't know .. I was just trying to share his fall (release) into both legs against a stretching core.. This is what allows him to feel and look weightless with both feet grounded..

IXkvIz1.gif

TDS, did he check this swing? Do you have the entire clip or is this all you have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 11, 2015
Yes, that has to happen if/when the rear knee moves "down and in" because of all of pesky leg and ankle bones connecting the knee to the heel. So yes, when the rear knee moves forward (down and in), so must the rear heel come up from the ground to move forward with it (to some extent).

The "pressure in the rear inside heel" (you're correct with btw) is the cue or feel a hitter wants when they'll reaching their full coil, in order to have a greater base or foundation if you will from which to start to turn the swing forward with from the "ground up" so to speak (if you prescribe to that theory of hitting).

It's where "the Move" came out of years ago as another way of talking about the rear leg/foot action of the swing, but even long before that it was the "anti-bug squashing" thing that helped players not coil back on just the ball of their foot, and then simply spin the rear leg/foot forward in their swing.

It's hard to spin and "squish or squash the bug" when the inside of your rear heel has pressure on it....iykwim.

EDIT: What's hard to see in that clip, and most others...is the pressure being applied to the rear foot/heel just prior to the heel coming up. Best I can tell you, is watch the his knee just prior to the rear heel starting to lift, and see if you can start to tell or feel that knee just beginning to turn forward, just fractionally before the "down and in", and just before the rear heel lifts.

That's him putting/transferring pressure into the ground in order to begin his move forward with his lower half, while trying to prevent it or "resist" it with his upper half in order to "stay back" or...."FYB" as we call it now.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017
Commit the legs/core to every pitch. This will help with being able to check. Practicing this helps hitters feel good sequence. Take 10 max effort check swings on a tee trying to stop at the ball. You’ll notice 2 things: 1. It’s a great core workout 2. Players will still hammer the ball doing this drill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478