What makes you lose your mind?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
As a coach I could not care less about running on/off the field. That accomplishes nothing. An easy jog is good enough. No one ever scored or prevented a run before an inning started or after it ended. I only care whether they hustle while the ball is in play. I also don't much care about players on the bench being cheerleaders. They should be good teammates and encourage the others, but they have to focus on what they need to do a lot more than they have to clap their hands and do all that other stuff. It's just a distraction. It can also drain their energy on a hot summer day.

Rec ball and lower age levels you are right. Ever watch a College Game in person or on TV? You better believe those bench warmers are up on the rail leading those cheers.
College Coaches like to see players hustle though. They want to see someone who is fired up and ready to get after it. This stands out and will get their attention pretty fast or at least verify why they came to look at this kid. Most kids have the same skill set once you get into the upper age divisions, and there needs to be something there that pushes a kid to the top of the heap. No College coach ever said I wish my players would just take it easy and do a light jog to their positions. No need to get the blood pumping into those big muscles. Wouldn't want to take chance with an injury. LOL.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
Rec ball and lower age levels you are right. Ever watch a College Game in person or on TV? You better believe those bench warmers are up on the rail leading those cheers.
College Coaches like to see players hustle though. They want to see someone who is fired up and ready to get after it. This stands out and will get their attention pretty fast or at least verify why they came to look at this kid. Most kids have the same skill set once you get into the upper age divisions, and there needs to be something there that pushes a kid to the top of the heap. No College coach ever said I wish my players would just take it easy and do a light jog to their positions. No need to get the blood pumping into those big muscles. Wouldn't want to take chance with an injury. LOL.

Personally I detest the "organized cheering" at the HS and college level. WhiIe I like our players to be involved in the game, if they are going to be yelling anything I'd rather have it be the number of outs, the count, or something of that nature.

I realize that I am relic asking for the moon with this alternate "cheering", but I consider a players next AB to begin in the dugout and I have a hard time with that happening when the entire team sings or chants.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802