What makes you lose your mind?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
I've been on the other side of this...up 15 and trying to end the game. Instruct base runners to step off and take the out. Pitcher had 4 pitchers over your head, in the dirt, wide right and wide left. We had a Runner 1B and 2B. I called time and told both runners to step of the base before the pitch and take the outs. They did so 3 times, 3 pitches in a row. No call by the umpires. I called time and went to the Homeplate ump. I quietly said "Blue, I'm pretty sure that runner on 1 and 2nd left early on the last couple pitches". He looks at me and says "Hey coach, thanks for noticing. Let the other team play and let's just play the game." I had my next two batters swing and miss at anything to get the game over with.

We've had to alert the umps too.

At some point, just have your girls step off and wait to get tagged out.

Parents don't like forcing their DDs to get a K on their Game Changer.

Jan 3, 2019
Florida
1. Telling a player to do something and they nod to you that they understand. The very next play they have an opportunity to do what you just told them to do and they don't do it......

2. A pitcher telling you that she throws three different pitches, yet they all look exactly the same.....

3. Walking on and off the field.....

4. Looking over your shoulder at mom/dad when you're trying to teach them something......

5. Hurling the ball from the outfield to the infield at no one in particular.....

6. Rap music nowadays....

7. Assuming a ball is foul and not running out of the box....

8. Giving up on the play after a bobble.....

9. (This one in rec ball) Not stealing 2nd with runners on 1st and 3rd after the 1st base coach literally just told them to steal second....

10. Walking the 7-8-9 hitters.....

11. Not looking for signs from the 3B coach when hitting or on base.....

Mar 7, 2016
Usually runs against is the tie-breaker, though.

But I guess the longer you run up the score, the less time the other team has to score runs against.

Goes:
record
head to head
runs against
runs differential
coin flip

I had to protest a wrong recorded score by opposing teams book at State last year they recorded it as a tie and we actually won. They counted a run crossing while the 3rd out was made. Was the biggest pain in the rear ever as they had to track down the umps during a rain delay just to verify what I was saying. Took 6 hours to correct. Was first pool game of the day. That win and extra point ended up being the difference in making the upper flight bracket vs the lower flight.

Aug 25, 2019
I've been on the other side of this...up 15 and trying to end the game. Instruct base runners to step off and take the out. Pitcher had 4 pitchers over your head, in the dirt, wide right and wide left. We had a Runner 1B and 2B. I called time and told both runners to step of the base before the pitch and take the outs. They did so 3 times, 3 pitches in a row. No call by the umpires. I called time and went to the Homeplate ump. I quietly said "Blue, I'm pretty sure that runner on 1 and 2nd left early on the last couple pitches". He looks at me and says "Hey coach, thanks for noticing. Let the other team play and let's just play the game." I had my next two batters swing and miss at anything to get the game over with.
Wow, as a umpire, I'm surprised at this. Yes, the ump sometimes not paying attention, (shame on them), I've seen teams warn the umpire, to watch out for the step off, and they call it. Most umpires want to put an end to the travesty too.

Mar 6, 2018
Love the game and love my daughter, more of a rant. Getting up on the weekends at 4 am, girls do great in pool play. Then Sunday rolls around and they are one and done. How about getting to a tournament when it is going to rain out, then it pours and drive an hour back home. Parents sitting beside me when it is 100 degrees outside, ” I do not know how these girls do this in the heat” I think what about me I am dying and sweating like a brisket sitting in a chair! They are in shape and I am having to drag the wagon! And my DD is 15, I swear her head spins when I speak to her. Then there is all of the other stuff in between. Really that girl just got a home run off a bunt from an over throw, SMH! Did I tell you my wife tells me bye in the mornings when we leave and says it too hot today, mean while I look like a lobster and she’s in the ac! But, I would not have it any other way! Great game, great time with daughter and a wallet that seems to always be open. Getting ready for tanning season.

Jan 8, 2019
We've had to alert the umps too.

At some point, just have your girls step off and wait to get tagged out.

Parents don't like forcing their DDs to get a K on their Game Changer.
Did this once. Our runner stood on her heels between 1b and 2b, catcher threw the ball to right field. Runner's instinct kicks in and she goes to third.

Jan 8, 2019
Team gets 1-2 hr break between games right around lunch time 90-100 degrees out.
These drive me crazy:
A) The 1-3 girls that have mom/dad bring them a monster burrito from the local Mexican food place. (This kills me for three reasons: 1. They can't move for three hours after they eat one. 2. I couldn't move for three hours after I eat one. and 3. IT SMEELS LIKE HEAVEN, AND I WANT ONE OF THOSE because my granola bar will last me for all of another 25 minutes!)
B) The girls who eat a decent lunch, then go play in the sun, but have no energy come game time.
C) Girls who go play on the jungle gym in their cleats.
D) Families who drive to their favorite local restaurant for lunch that is 45 minute away and always has a half hour wait for lunch, and then they bring it to the field to eat.
E) Lunch = Skittles, Cheetos, a coke and a Kona Ice for dessert.
F) Someone is offered "a piece" of someone else's healthy lunch or special treat, and then either continues to empty the container themselves or passes it around to everyone within 30 feet without asking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802