What makes you lose your mind?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 8, 2019
So did this #9 hitter crush this change up? You left us hanging!
Yes, on a few occasions. No better confidence builder for the other team than their 9 spot (or more likely the 11 or 12 spot batting round robin) getting an extra base hit. Conversely, our #9 hitter watched it drop in for strike 3! :mad:

PDM

Jun 18, 2019
NJ
Not talking about umpires, parents, or tournament directors here, just the players. I feel I've mellowed out over the last few years, I try not to let "ball" make my head explode anymore.

***But, a few things that make me look at a kid sideways while keeping both of my hands in my pockets!

1) Just boneheaded mental errors, not thinking! Like not covering a base, or throwing behind a runner, or overthrowing a cutoff! :mad:

2) Not taking advantage of free outs! Pitcher throws a routine ground ball, or bloop pop up and it gets blown, got to have 100% of those! :mad:

3) Not getting a bunt down, popping a bunt up to the pitcher or catcher makes me want to go to the car and start drinking! :mad:

***Back to 1) Outfielders NOT taking proper angles on hard hit balls and giving up an extra base! :mad:

Kids make errors, I get it, I think sometimes this game is set up for failure, but when a kid gives me 100% effort and "something" happens, I'm fine, won't say a word unless it's to tell them to adjust, know what they did wrong and get the next one! When a kid is lazy or has some kind of mental breakdown, I'll get loud!

***And back to 2) ERRORS!! We all know what happens when stupid errors are made at crucial times in a game......and it's usually with the very next hitter!!

I'm sure I just left out 20+ things, what stupidity sets you off?
I can get really annoyed when adults take the game too seriously and yell at children.

Sep 5, 2012
When I was a youth coach, I realized that you are going to get kids that cover the entire spectrum. It's just like school. You're going to have those who belong in the advanced class & those that belong in the remedial class. You may even have a few that belong in probation!

For me, lack of effort & dedication are things that will frustrate me. I also have a great dislike for prima donnas. You can be the worst player on the team with no athletic ability whatsoever but if you show a love for the games & put in the effort to try & get better you will have an ally in me for life.

May 6, 2019
1. Poor effort. Can’t take it.

2. A pitcher that gives up a hard hit ball with an 0-2 count.

3. Parents that buy bats that kids become married to even though they can’t swing them.

4. Watching strike one right down the middle, chasing a bad pitch for strike two and then watching strike 3 and telling me it was a bad pitch.

5. Lack of communication.

6. Pitcher who immediately throw to first on a come backer

7. Catchers that won’t block

8.Drama

9. Coaches protesting calls that cannot be overturned.

10. Failure to execute the bunt

Jul 15, 2015
I don't lose it over players - they are what make the game enjoyable. It's the coaches who act like they are the reason the game exists who get to me. We were at a showcase not too long ago, no standings, no trophies, last game of the night and no college coaches around - and the opposing coach starts milking the time clock as their team is up 2 runs.

Oct 14, 2016
from what I learned in umpire class, a homerun is a dead ball, yes a player has to touch all 4 bases in order, but she can stop and play pattycake with the coaches if she likes. Teammates can run out on the field field and follow her around the base paths too, players can even carry her around the bases as long as she touches them all, no rule against it in usa or usssa. I may be wrong, let's see what our expert umps here say.

There is so much wrong with this. Hard to begin. Please, for the love of all that is holy in softball, do not teach this to other people.

Nov 28, 2019
I can live with physical errors. Everyone will make them. The mental errors are what drive me nuts. Not knowing how many outs there are even though they were just told. Not knowing where they are going with the ball before it’s hit. Things like that. And of course lack of effort. I don’t see that much though.

Another thing that drives me crazy is coaches that think they know more than they really do. I see it at all levels. When I stop wanting to improve my coaching knowledge and abilities then I’ll know it’s time to give it up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802