What makes you lose your mind?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 30, 2018
Fielders not moving! I promised the girls (10u rec) I would never make them run laps for making a mistake, but last night I came very close to breaking that promise. We were doing some game simulations last night and my SS and 3B were being statues if the ball wasn't hit to them. Had to keep reminding them. Finally threatened them with running laps if they didn't wake up.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Not tagging up on 3 with less than 2 outs and a fly ball to of and not scoring. ARRRRGH! MY HEAD IS GOING TO EXPLODE!

Great example @Westwind !! But my frustration was more towards a coach. When DD played high school ball she played for a new coach. She was a former college player, but didn't have any coaching experience at the time. DD's team had exactly one travel ball player (her). Coach was actively requesting help from other coaches due to her inexperience and a neighboring high school coach suggested she talk to me about advising. In one game two separate players failed to tag in that exact situation. The head coach stood there silent both times. After the game she asked me for my input and I brought up the situation. She said, "Yeah, I know. The players should know better." My response was "Players?? As a 3rd base coach, you need to be talking to your players. Make sure they know the situation before the pitch. Make sure they get back to the base as soon as you see the ball is in the air. Make sure they get a good jump when the ball is caught. Yes, they should know better, but these players are brand new. It's on you to teach them." Unfortunately it took 3 or 4 similar conversations before she started coaching 3rd the way I thought it should be done.

May 21, 2018
4 out of the last 5 $300 bats breaking within 2 weeks of owning. I think we're cursed. (most in game things don't bother me much since we are first year 12U)

Jun 8, 2016
Great example @Westwind !! But my frustration was more towards a coach. When DD played high school ball she played for a new coach. She was a former college player, but didn't have any coaching experience at the time. DD's team had exactly one travel ball player (her). Coach was actively requesting help from other coaches due to her inexperience and a neighboring high school coach suggested she talk to me about advising. In one game two separate players failed to tag in that exact situation. The head coach stood there silent both times. After the game she asked me for my input and I brought up the situation. She said, "Yeah, I know. The players should know better." My response was "Players?? As a 3rd base coach, you need to be talking to your players. Make sure they know the situation before the pitch. Make sure they get back to the base as soon as you see the ball is in the air. Make sure they get a good jump when the ball is caught. Yes, they should know better, but these players are brand new. It's on you to teach them." Unfortunately it took 3 or 4 similar conversations before she started coaching 3rd the way I thought it should be done.
You see base coaches in MLB talk to players all the time..I doubt they are discussing the outfits they are going to wear on the airplane... ;) We would get reminders all the time in college from the base coaches. Yes the players should know the situation but a small reminder never hurts..

Mar 7, 2016
This is gonna be a longgggg list lol, but ill do top 10

1. not sliding when stealing or returning to a base during a play
2. not running full speed with stealing
3. Outfielders holding the ball and hesitating to decide where to throw
4. only making one play at a time regardless of how many times we practice tag and go, look for more etc. its like they forget there are more runners on.
5. calling a sac bunt/steal only to have the batter pull back on a strike and watch her team mate get hung out to dry on the bases.
6. two outs bases loaded and instead of stepping on nearest bag heaving it across infield to make a play.
7. a catcher not hustling for a past ball
8. a catcher chucking a dropped 3rd into right field
9. any player not moving on every play, 3 choices ball, base, backup if your standing still you can do that on the bench
10. number one pet peeve is BAD ATTITUDES, girl makes a bad play and she is done for the game and it is contagious. Every girl will make an error, get over it and wait for your next chance to make up for it. one play doesn't make or break a game i dont care what level you are. but one play can change the momentum and at most age levels Ive seen that is a killer.

May 6, 2015
#2 has got to be OF's that for what ever reason, suddenly decide to let the ball drop within a step of them. They had it, plenty of time and weren't even going full out for it, then at the last minute decide to hold up 5 ft short and try to play the bounce (which usually seems to fail as well), which turned that out into a runner standing on second.

Dds team has an epidemic of this. part of me thinks the coach needs to tell them any bills hits the ground, they run. rather have them running and diving and missing then watching the ball drop 5 feet in front.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
2 things make my list. Every team in every sport I ever coached I told them what my 2 things are. What I expect and what they owe to their teammates
1. Try hard,
2. Pay attention, to the game to the coaches and to each other.

If you do these things I won’t be upset at your results.

Now that said I can tell you that every team failed miserably at #2 because no matter how many times I told them these are the 2 things. When I would ask at the next practice what o expected from them. Invariable I would get “have fun”.

Also with that said not swinging at a third strike really ground my gears.

Jun 22, 2019
When my daughter’s watches strike 3. They are good hitters and don’t strikeout much, but occasionally they will have two strikes and then watch a 3rd strike.

I don’t know why, but this drives me nuts. if you’re fooled or it’s a bad call...OK, but sometimes it’s a mid level pitcher that is throwing a fastball that is on a tee and they just freeze...that’s the most frustrating part of the game.

Aug 13, 2018
My number one pet peeve, makes me crazy, and drives me to drink is taking a called third strike.

Swing the damn bat. We're in 10U still, I don't care if you swing a a pitch that is in the dirt or over your head if you're being aggressive, but looking at that third strike and walking off disappointed you struck out drives me crazy.

Corollary, STOP LOOKING FOR WALKS. The best hitters on my team are disappointed when they didn't get a pitch to crush. I'll take a walk, of course, but you should be wanting to hit every time you're at the plate.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802