What makes you lose your mind?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
the parent mentioned to the coach that we need to have the girls stretch better in the morning. No shirt, the coach told them if they would have arrived 1 hour before the game like everyone else she would have had time to stretch.
Not that the injury was funny......but that made me laugh! Glad that parent was able to give you guys some sound advice! ;)

Feb 14, 2020
Not talking about umpires, parents, or tournament directors here, just the players. I feel I've mellowed out over the last few years, I try not to let "ball" make my head explode anymore.

***But, a few things that make me look at a kid sideways while keeping both of my hands in my pockets!

1) Just boneheaded mental errors, not thinking! Like not covering a base, or throwing behind a runner, or overthrowing a cutoff! :mad:

2) Not taking advantage of free outs! Pitcher throws a routine ground ball, or bloop pop up and it gets blown, got to have 100% of those! :mad:

3) Not getting a bunt down, popping a bunt up to the pitcher or catcher makes me want to go to the car and start drinking! :mad:

***Back to 1) Outfielders NOT taking proper angles on hard hit balls and giving up an extra base! :mad:

Kids make errors, I get it, I think sometimes this game is set up for failure, but when a kid gives me 100% effort and "something" happens, I'm fine, won't say a word unless it's to tell them to adjust, know what they did wrong and get the next one! When a kid is lazy or has some kind of mental breakdown, I'll get loud!

***And back to 2) ERRORS!! We all know what happens when stupid errors are made at crucial times in a game......and it's usually with the very next hitter!!

I'm sure I just left out 20+ things, what stupidity sets you off?
Pitchers not covering home on a passed ball/wild pitch with runner on 3rd.

Lack of hustle running on/off the field.

Bench not getting involved in game and cheering their teammates on.

Teams getting down on themselves when they fall behind early.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019

!!!!!!!!!!! & !!!!!!!!!!!!

"We must Endeavor to Persevere!"

WE MUST FIRST WANT TO TRY!

Mar 6, 2016
"First base coaches who have apparently taken a vow of silence and stand there without speaking, pointing or talking but still manage to turn the runner on base away from the ball for a high five at the exact time the defense throws the ball away. Coach, can you maybe tell the runner how many outs there are? Yell ”BACK“ every once in awhile? Something?"

SO TRUE!!.. OMG The dad or mom that "just wants to help" but has no clue even after the 12th time Ive "reminded" them we need to "talk to the girls and be heard".

My own:

Pitchers covering home on a passed ball....but on the FIRST BASE SIDE of the plate!!! OMG we work on this a lot and they just dont grasp the concept that "Hey Lil Miss Sassy...ya gotta be able to tag the runner BEFORE she slides over the plate! " 😲🙈 And then the pitcher looks and nods..."I know...sorry"

PDM

Jun 18, 2019
NJ

As a coach I could not care less about running on/off the field. That accomplishes nothing. An easy jog is good enough. No one ever scored or prevented a run before an inning started or after it ended. I only care whether they hustle while the ball is in play. I also don't much care about players on the bench being cheerleaders. They should be good teammates and encourage the others, but they have to focus on what they need to do a lot more than they have to clap their hands and do all that other stuff. It's just a distraction. It can also drain their energy on a hot summer day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28