What makes you lose your mind?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2020
I kinda agree. Our team has food assignments. Someone brings sandwiches, someone a hot item, another drinks, etc. etc. Then a few families just go out and buy monster burritos and bring them back and eat them in front of me while I'm eating a soggy ham sandwich with mayo that's been out all day.

:(
Many moons ago when my now 26 year old played. We took her team to all you can eat pizza during a tournament. I think they were 6th graders....Every team in the tournament we had beat before handily....yep after the pizza the girls didn't win another game......should have picked up on all of them taking naps right after they ate...........now with the baby girl (10) saggy sandwiches, fruit, and veggies is all she gets .....we tell her...her big sister messed it up for her....

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
I call it, "The statue of liberty play". It can happen at any position. The girl comes up with the ball and holds it over her head like she's gonna throw it but, freezes while she scans the field, deciding what to do. Not getting rid of the ball absolutely irritates me. They should be practicing getting rid of the ball immediately, regardless of the situation. Know what you're going to do with it, BEFORE you even field it. It's so frustrating and I wonder, if this is one element of the game, that can't be taught. Quick reaction. Maybe it's something they're born with.
One of her two outfield teammates should be telling her where to throw the ball before she receives it.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Have a question. In the 1980’s was coaching a group of boys 14-15 ages. Could not get them to communicate with me so I took a collegiate course called the Development of the Human Brain.

Was taught that humans think in the abstract (able to think if, then) until around age of 5-6. Then we start thinking in the concrete (unable to think if, then) lasting until around puberty. Still couldn’t get them to communicate but came to the understanding that must have been a very confusing time for them :eek:. Worked very hard with them communicating to one another during a play. They had success beyond all expectations.

Question is. Does what I was taught still true?

Feb 25, 2020
Have a question. In the 1980’s was coaching a group of boys 14-15 ages. Could not get them to communicate with me so I took a collegiate course called the Development of the Human Brain.

Was taught that humans think in the abstract (able to think if, then) until around age of 5-6. Then we start thinking in the concrete (unable to think if, then) lasting until around puberty. Still couldn’t get them to communicate but came to the understanding that must have been a very confusing time for them :eek:. Worked very hard with them communicating to one another during a play. They had success beyond all expectations.

Question is. Does what I was taught still true?

To answer your question. Yes, but now adolescence lasts until your ~30

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
I don't lose my mind but am disappointed by infielders who treat backhand and forehand fielding attempts as though they have never seen them. I get new kids each year (HS coach) and there is a serious lack of teaching backhand and forehand ground ball fielding. Every kid tries to get in front of these ground balls and almost always they have problems. First they never get low enough and present the glove too late. Then there is the footwork.........yikes!

Jun 8, 2016
I don't lose my mind but am disappointed by infielders who treat backhand and forehand fielding attempts as though they have never seen them. I get new kids each year (HS coach) and there is a serious lack of teaching backhand and forehand ground ball fielding. Every kid tries to get in front of these ground balls and almost always they have problems. First they never get low enough and present the glove too late. Then there is the footwork.........yikes!
I've found that at the lower levels many coaches get on kids for trying to backhand the ball even when appropriate (and it is appropriate a lot more than people think..in particular at SS). I had this issue with my DD's TB coach when she 1st started 10U. I just told her not to worry about it and to do what I told her..luckily she listened (for once). Now that she is more consistent with her backhand he doesn't complain anymore....

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2019
I've found that at the lower levels many coaches get on kids for trying to backhand the ball even when appropriate (and it is appropriate a lot more than people think..in particular at SS). I had this issue with my DD's TB coach when she 1st started 10U. I just told her not to worry about it and to do what I told her..luckily she listened (for once). Now that she is more consistent with her backhand he doesn't complain anymore....

"Coaches hate him. Field every ground ball cleanly with this one weird trick."

Jun 8, 2016
"Coaches hate him. Field every ground ball cleanly with this one weird trick."
? Not sure if that is a dig but if I thought my DD's coach knew anything about how to play MI (he doesn't) then I would have told her to listen to what he said..

Jun 8, 2016
IT's a joke.

Well, to me it's a joke. Every click bait advertisement says "Doctors hate him. Lower your blood pressure with this one weird trick."

The coaches hate him part is about parents telling their kid to not listen to the coach. I do the same thing, btw.
Ok. Like I said, if the guy knew what he was talking about I would have no issue with her listening to him.. :LOL:
There is really no trick. If by trying to get in front of a ball you are either putting your glove in a position which makes your
hands "hard" (e.g. catching it too far away from being under your left eye) or putting your body in a position where making a strong throw is difficult, then go to your backhand. Of course understanding when this occurs takes a lot of reps and confidence in your backhand (which needs to be worked... A LOT).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rathouse