What makes you lose your mind?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2019
Quite a few people mentioned this "not swinging on 3rd strike down the middle"......I never get on my DD about this because, simply, when was the last time, me, you, any coach or any parent was in a batters box facing pitching in a game?.......It's not as easy as you make it out to be.
Not just down the middle, how about not protecting with 2 strikes.

Apr 28, 2014
Teams who stop updating game changer when they are getting crushed
Teams who don't revert scores during drop dead games to pad game changer wins.
Teams who keep game changer stats private....why? Whatcha scared of :)

Apr 28, 2014
Fields without fences.. even though DD pitches
Baseball fields converted for SB games..mound still there. Lazy field crews who don't line fields between games.

Apr 28, 2014
Coaches who give pitching lessons who post completely fake speed numbers online to grow their business. People in the know are outing you. You do a kid no service by lying about their speed. IF a college coach sees that and comes out to see a kid and realizes that their speed was inflated by 5mph or more you have taken that kid off that list forever.

Aug 25, 2019
Coaches who run up the scores, not knowing when to stop. My DD was on a team that gave up 21 runs in an inning...21! When the inning was finally over, our coach asked him about it, all he said was "I didn't know what to do". I'll give you 10 or 12 runs an inning, after that you should have a feel for your competition and put the brakes on. I've umped games like this, just watching and waiting the coach to have their player step off a bag, almost to the point where I want to say " hey coach, what the F are you doing! "

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
Definitely been some great ones mentioned. I might have missed it, but one that drives me nuts is when a batter does not run out a pop fly or soft ground ball. We had one girl on our team--actually one of the more talented players who has since left for supposedly greener pastures--who would immediately start pouting if she didn't hit a double in the gap every at bat. If the ball was popped up on the IF, she would barely bother to move down the line to first. More than once, she would have at least reached on error, but was retired instead. What I could never get as a parent looking on is why our coach did not immediately bench her and put someone else in that actually wanted to hustle and play the game.

Mar 7, 2016
Coaches who run up the scores, not knowing when to stop. My DD was on a team that gave up 21 runs in an inning...21! When the inning was finally over, our coach asked him about it, all he said was "I didn't know what to do". I'll give you 10 or 12 runs an inning, after that you should have a feel for your competition and put the brakes on. I've umped games like this, just watching and waiting the coach to have their player step off a bag, almost to the point where I want to say " hey coach, what the F are you doing! "

This would never be an issue if tournaments didnt use runs scored as a tie breaker. Never have been a fan of that as it basically gives teams a reason in pool play to do this. The incentive is the difference between a first round bye, or 3 extra hours of sleep on a Sunday.

In bracket there is ZERO reason for this EVER

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
Girls who have some ability and choose to not play HS softball. But they sure enjoy playing for their summer team (Dad is usually a HC or AC) who ignore all fundamentals but boast of indoor facilities, "exposure tournaments" and $400 bats, and pitchers with 7 pitches, etc.

I think of the Pinocchio GEICO commercial in reference to the players that says I see untapped potential. Only this time his nose would not grow.

But then I think of the same commercial in reference to the coaches and the nose grows but he doesn't know why.

Jan 5, 2018
PNW

I've been on the other side of this...up 15 and trying to end the game. Instruct base runners to step off and take the out. Pitcher had 4 pitchers over your head, in the dirt, wide right and wide left. We had a Runner 1B and 2B. I called time and told both runners to step of the base before the pitch and take the outs. They did so 3 times, 3 pitches in a row. No call by the umpires. I called time and went to the Homeplate ump. I quietly said "Blue, I'm pretty sure that runner on 1 and 2nd left early on the last couple pitches". He looks at me and says "Hey coach, thanks for noticing. Let the other team play and let's just play the game." I had my next two batters swing and miss at anything to get the game over with.

Oct 4, 2018
This would never be an issue if tournaments didnt use runs scored as a tie breaker. Never have been a fan of that as it basically gives teams a reason in pool play to do this. The incentive is the difference between a first round bye, or 3 extra hours of sleep on a Sunday.

In bracket there is ZERO reason for this EVER

Usually runs against is the tie-breaker, though.

But I guess the longer you run up the score, the less time the other team has to score runs against.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802