What is your team doing during these times? Zoom, a workout checklist or nothing?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 29, 2016
My daughter's team (14U) has really done nothing. The coach only chimes in on the groupme every week or so after someone asks about our Vegas qualifier or refunds on the hotels. Coach sent out a facebook link to Jen Schro (sent out on Groupme on April 1st) for the catchers and gave a work out for pitchers to do (April 22nd) and that is it. Only other conversations have been regarding updates from PGF (which all the parents get in emails from PGF) and if we are going to Vegas still. We have asked about refunds with no real answer. We have paid $850 up to this point and played in 3 tournaments in Feb and beginning of March. We had 16 tournaments on our tentative schedule. We have used uniforms from last season. We are in CA and it looks like tournaments won't go until at least July (just a guess on my part). We probably will be able to get some double headers or friendlies going before then (maybe). If I were the coach and I know I am not but I would expect at least give the players a weekly workout or checklist and a zoom conference once a week to keep everyone engaged. Am I asking too much? I am curious to see who is going to stick it out with this team. Coach is a good coach but managing the team off the field has been disappointing. It is a newly formed team that started this Jan. 2020. I am sure others have it worse at least in being more financially invested than I am at this point. Just curious what other teams have been doing.

Feb 25, 2020
Ca.
Personally, we are not paying any fees at this time to the club, and any money we have paid toward tournaments will be refunded "IF" the tournament offers a refund, so it's really not up to the coach or team manager.

I am the assistant on my daughter's 2024 club team. Our head coach has been very interactive, with TeamSnap, emails, and texting, and has comunicated with us in regards to updates from PGF, TOC, and our club organization, and is always exploring ways to get practice time with the team.

He has also sent out a detailed conditioning plan and home practice plan, asking the players to check in on TeamSnap, and list what they have been doing to stay in shape and keep their skill set sharp. But it up to the girls who take it seriously. It will show who did, and who didn't when we return to the practice field. Those who haven't taken advantage of this downtime will most likely see more bench time until they have gotten back to up to speed.

The players communicate among themselves via Social Media and Texting. The coaching staff is in constant communication.

IMO, the coach can only do so much during this time. Parents and players need to step in and follow through on "stay at home" practice and conditioning.

My 2cents.

Feb 25, 2020
Ca.
Here is a C&P of what we sent to our players. Feel free to use it if you like it.

Of course, not every player will do everything on this list on their own, Its a lot....but its worksheet to go from. They can either do it as written or adapt a program that fits their needs and situation.

All athletes should be practicing skills 3-5x/week (e.g., at least 100 reps re IF/OF drills) to maintain skills.
ALL ATHLETES (3x/week minimum)
 30/60/90 throwing (20-30 throws @ each distance)
 Quicktoss (3 sets of 10)
 ALTERNATIVE – USE A NET (adjust distances – 40-50 throws into net)
BASIC INFIELD DEFENSE (suggested drills/skills – with or w/o glove)
 Bucket drill (work on fundamentals)
o Partner rolls balls to you from about 5-10 feet away
o Working on ball at you/side-to-side (e.g., direct/backhand/forehand)
o FOCUS – soft hands + staying low + fielding through ball/away from body + weight on toes
o ALTERNATIVES – use softballs and/or tennis balls
 Ground Balls (with fungo or rolled/thrown by partner)
o TYPES – direct + forehand + backhand + short hops + high bouncers
o FOCUS – soft hands + staying low + fielding through ball/away from body + weight on toes
o ALTERNATIVES – drop balls into bucket OR throw into net
 Mirror Drills
o Focus is on body awareness
o Go through fielding routine to view mechanics
 Throwing - different arm angles (into net or with a partner)
o Side arm
o Over the top
 Quick release (with partner – athlete either flips back to partner or fields w/ flip into net)
o Glove flips
o Underhand flips
 Picks/Tags (with partner – short throws to athlete/drop into bucket)
 Drop Steps (with partner – short toss over athlete)
o Right/left/straight back
o Focus/Scenario - footwork w/ hard grounder in hole or a blooper b/w IF and OF (e.g., “Texas Leaguer”)
BASIC OUTFIELD DEFENSE (suggested drills/skills – with or w/o glove)
 Drop Steps/Fly Balls (and groundballs)
o Left/Right/Straight Back (glove side/throwing side)
o FOCUS – head turn + hip turn + running through catch OR getting behind ball (and coming in/through
ball)
 Throwing
o Crow hops (throwing to partner +/or into net) – should be virtually “falling forward” through throws
o Throwing “over the top” with downward trajectory/”big arm circle”
o Incorporate with “do or dies”
- FOCUS - getting under ball/soft hands…coming up into crow hop after fielding the ball
 Mirror Drills
o Focus on body awareness

PITCHING

 KEY – first ask pitching coach for suggested standard drills/focus
 SUGGESTIONS:
o Spins
o Basic Warm-Up/Progression (e.g., 5 solid pitches for each type of “pitch” before moving to next pitch)
o “Round the World”
o Fielding Drills (e.g., from pitchers circle – glove/underhand flips + field/throw to net @
first/second/third)
CATCHING
 KEY – first ask catching coach for suggested standard drills/focus
 SUGGESTIONS: (with partner – short toss @/over catcher – use gloves or flat gloves depending on skill)
o Mechanics
 Framing
 Drop and Blocks
 Quick Transitions
 Tags
 Pop ups
 behind catcher/plate
 in front of catcher/plate (focus on getting in front of ball/plate w/ back to IF)
o Throwing (with partner throwing short pitch – catcher using quick transitions – throw to net/3 rd
partner)
 1B/2B/3B
 Bunt – throw to 1B or 2B (use a “count” – catcher gets to bunt in 2 or less go to second)
OFFENSE/HITTING
 TEE (w/ net)
o BASIC - High/Low/Inside/Outside
 Focus on any “problem area” (e.g., location athlete may feel she has difficulty hitting) w/o ignoring
other areas
 Athlete should use “routine” for every swing…set ball + routine + look into net and “track” into ball
as she swings- Top hand/Bottom hand drills
o TOP HAND/BOTTOM HAND (one hand/smaller bat if possible)
o WALK THROUGH
o HOP DRILL (e.g., from stance athlete uses a short “hop”/step to front foot…then short “hop”/step to
back foot…then swings/drives through ball)
o HIT TO CONTACT
o HIT TO EXTENSION
 SOFT TOSS (w/ net)
 FRONT TOSS HITTING (if possible – pitcher behind net/screen - can use whiffles/heavy balls also)
 FRONT TOSS BUNTING (sacrifice + squeeze + sneaky)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CONDTIONING
Monday Upper Boddy - Tuesday Lower Boddy - Wednesday General - Thursday Upper Boddy - Friday Lower Boady- Saturday General Sunday rest

30 Inch Worms
 30 Drop Push Ups
 30 Elbow to Knee Touches (each side) start on all 4s
 60 Shoulder Taps (from a planked position)
 30 Lateral arm raises each side (from a planked position)
 30 Forward arm raises each side (from a planked position)
 60 (30 each leg) Jack Knives (alternating leg raises with toe touches)
 30 Side Planks w/hip thrusts
 15 Superman holds (5 seconds each)
 60 Bicycle crunches
Rinse and Repeat
3 Rounds
2 Minute Break between rounds
Lower Body/Conditioning
10 Minute Dynamic Warm Up (e.g., jog/stretch)
3 rounds:
 30 In Place Forward Bodyweight Lunges (15 each leg)
 30 In Place Backward Bodyweight Lunges (15 each leg)
 30 In Place Squat Jumps
 30 In Place Later Lunges with a cross-body reach. (15 each leg)
 30 bodyweight hip thrusts (Feet elevated)
 Finish off with 20 “20 yard” sprints with 30 second breaks between each sprint.
General Conditioning
 Treadmill/Stationary Bike (20-30 minutes)
 Jump Rope (4 sets of 5 minutes straight)
 Jog/Walk (minimum 1 mi.)
 Swimming (4 sets of 5 minutes straight re laps – stroke(s) of choice)
These exercises routines/suggestions are designed to provide 30-60 min. workout routines to keep the athletes
in “game shape”. Feel free to incorporate any favorite movements into these routines. If athletes have access
to dumbbells/slam balls +/or bands/ladders please incorporate them into these exercises as well.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2016
Thank you Ken. This is what similar to what I heard that is happening on a couple of my friends daughters teams locally.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Here is a C&P of what we sent to our players. Feel free to use it if you like it.

Of course, not every player will do everything on this list on their own, Its a lot....but its worksheet to go from. They can either do it as written or adapt a program that fits their needs and situation.

All athletes should be practicing skills 3-5x/week (e.g., at least 100 reps re IF/OF drills) to maintain skills.
ALL ATHLETES (3x/week minimum)
 30/60/90 throwing (20-30 throws @ each distance)
 Quicktoss (3 sets of 10)
 ALTERNATIVE – USE A NET (adjust distances – 40-50 throws into net)
BASIC INFIELD DEFENSE (suggested drills/skills – with or w/o glove)
 Bucket drill (work on fundamentals)
o Partner rolls balls to you from about 5-10 feet away
o Working on ball at you/side-to-side (e.g., direct/backhand/forehand)
o ALTERNATIVES – use softballs and/or tennis balls
 Ground Balls (with fungo or rolled/thrown by partner)
o TYPES – direct + forehand + backhand + short hops + high bouncers
o ALTERNATIVES – drop balls into bucket OR throw into net
 Mirror Drills
o Focus is on body awareness
 Throwing - different arm angles (into net or with a partner)
o Side arm
o Over the top
 Quick release (with partner – athlete either flips back to partner or fields w/ flip into net)
o Glove flips
o Underhand flips
 Picks/Tags (with partner – short throws to athlete/drop into bucket)
 Drop Steps (with partner – short toss over athlete)
o Right/left/straight back
o Focus/Scenario - footwork w/ hard grounder in hole or a blooper b/w IF and OF (e.g., “Texas Leaguer”)
BASIC OUTFIELD DEFENSE (suggested drills/skills – with or w/o glove)
 Drop Steps/Fly Balls (and groundballs)
o Left/Right/Straight Back (glove side/throwing side)
o FOCUS – head turn + hip turn + running through catch OR getting behind ball (and coming in/through
ball)
 Throwing
o Crow hops (throwing to partner +/or into net) – should be virtually “falling forward” through throws
o Throwing “over the top” with downward trajectory/”big arm circle”
o Incorporate with “do or dies”
- FOCUS - getting under ball/soft hands…coming up into crow hop after fielding the ball
 Mirror Drills
o Focus on body awareness

PITCHING

 KEY – first ask pitching coach for suggested standard drills/focus
 SUGGESTIONS:
o Spins
o Basic Warm-Up/Progression (e.g., 5 solid pitches for each type of “pitch” before moving to next pitch)
o “Round the World”
o Fielding Drills (e.g., from pitchers circle – glove/underhand flips + field/throw to net @
first/second/third)
CATCHING
 KEY – first ask catching coach for suggested standard drills/focus
 SUGGESTIONS: (with partner – short toss @/over catcher – use gloves or flat gloves depending on skill)
o Mechanics
 Framing
 Drop and Blocks
 Quick Transitions
 Tags
 Pop ups
 behind catcher/plate
 in front of catcher/plate (focus on getting in front of ball/plate w/ back to IF)
o Throwing (with partner throwing short pitch – catcher using quick transitions – throw to net/3 rd
partner)
 1B/2B/3B
 Bunt – throw to 1B or 2B (use a “count” – catcher gets to bunt in 2 or less go to second)
OFFENSE/HITTING
 TEE (w/ net)
o BASIC - High/Low/Inside/Outside
 Focus on any “problem area” (e.g., location athlete may feel she has difficulty hitting) w/o ignoring
other areas
 Athlete should use “routine” for every swing…set ball + routine + look into net and “track” into ball
as she swings- Top hand/Bottom hand drills
o TOP HAND/BOTTOM HAND (one hand/smaller bat if possible)
o WALK THROUGH
o HOP DRILL (e.g., from stance athlete uses a short “hop”/step to front foot…then short “hop”/step to
back foot…then swings/drives through ball)
o HIT TO CONTACT
o HIT TO EXTENSION
 SOFT TOSS (w/ net)
 FRONT TOSS HITTING (if possible – pitcher behind net/screen - can use whiffles/heavy balls also)
 FRONT TOSS BUNTING (sacrifice + squeeze + sneaky)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CONDTIONING
Monday Upper Boddy - Tuesday Lower Boddy - Wednesday General - Thursday Upper Boddy - Friday Lower Boady- Saturday General Sunday rest

30 Inch Worms
 30 Drop Push Ups
 30 Elbow to Knee Touches (each side) start on all 4s
 60 Shoulder Taps (from a planked position)
 30 Lateral arm raises each side (from a planked position)
 30 Forward arm raises each side (from a planked position)
 60 (30 each leg) Jack Knives (alternating leg raises with toe touches)
 30 Side Planks w/hip thrusts
 15 Superman holds (5 seconds each)
 60 Bicycle crunches
Rinse and Repeat
3 Rounds
2 Minute Break between rounds
Lower Body/Conditioning
10 Minute Dynamic Warm Up (e.g., jog/stretch)
3 rounds:
 30 In Place Forward Bodyweight Lunges (15 each leg)
 30 In Place Backward Bodyweight Lunges (15 each leg)
 30 In Place Squat Jumps
 30 In Place Later Lunges with a cross-body reach. (15 each leg)
 30 bodyweight hip thrusts (Feet elevated)
 Finish off with 20 “20 yard” sprints with 30 second breaks between each sprint.
General Conditioning
 Treadmill/Stationary Bike (20-30 minutes)
 Jump Rope (4 sets of 5 minutes straight)
 Jog/Walk (minimum 1 mi.)
 Swimming (4 sets of 5 minutes straight re laps – stroke(s) of choice)
These exercises routines/suggestions are designed to provide 30-60 min. workout routines to keep the athletes
in “game shape”. Feel free to incorporate any favorite movements into these routines. If athletes have access
to dumbbells/slam balls +/or bands/ladders please incorporate them into these exercises as well.
What age is this team? I love the detail and the effort. If your team did nothing I think it says a lot. My DD 12u team does Zoom strength and agility and hitting too. 2 or 3 times a week. It is good but I like what Ken put together here.

Last edited:
May 22, 2015
Illinois
Since spring is high school ball for DD her travel team generally goes dark until June. Normally they get plenty of work in with school ball so lack of work is a non issue. With the way things turned out this spring everyone was pretty much on their own. DD continued to hit and weight train almost every day. I bought her the High Level Throwing e book so she’s been going there that as well. Plus we’ve just been going out and playing catch whenever we can.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28