What is your number one reason you do this?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

What is your #1 reason for this softball journey?

• DD obtains a scholarship

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • DD learns the importance of hard work and overcoming adversity

Votes: 35 55.6%
  • Social engagement for DD and the family

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Family time spent together

Votes: 9 14.3%
  • You hate money

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Have yet to figure it out

Votes: 6 9.5%

• Total voters
Mar 4, 2015
New England
I guess the assumption is that your DD enjoys it. Most of us wouldn't force our kids to do something they don't enjoy.

Good point. I guess what I was trying to say is that the child's reasons and motivations are more important than our own, IMO. So yes, it's assumed that our kids enjoy it, but I'd still like to start with (and be confident about) ''my child chose softball, and because I believe it's a healthy, positive activity, I support it.'' That would be a good reason to pursue the softball life.

That's a retrospective view, since my DD no longer plays. Looking back, I wish I'd been more aware of what drove my DD and myself. We had a great time with softball, actually many highs and lows, but I understand now more than then how much she played partly to please others and because the sport and her success gave her an identity, the kind that helps kids find themselves, especially as teenagers. Part of my motivation was my own competitiveness. There's nothing wrong with those things to a point, and most kids and parents have some of that going on, but people rarely acknowledge those among the evolving and complex reasons that we and our daughters ''do this.''

Jul 14, 2018
Great replies so far. I have a more specific goal that’s tied to the social aspect.

I’ve seen friends and family with daughters who had a terrible time in high school — bullied or isolated, it can be a rough couple of years. But everyone I know whose daughter played sports has had a positive experience. Having that circle of friends (even if they’re rivals) goes a long way to helping kids feel like they have a place in the world.

I didn’t expect the route to be softball, but as a lifelong baseball fan I couldn’t be happier with how that turned out.

I just hope for the best every April when DFP is filled with HS horror stories!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 12, 2020
I started coaching as way to volunteer and show a positive military presence (I was stationed in Hampton Roads VA and there is a strong negative connotation associated with the military there from locals) and to continue my passion. I continued on and off for a few years and eventually moved to Texas where my friends daughter started getting interest in the game. She asked me to coach and from what I have been told passion for the game radiates off of me. Now I do it to keep the passion alive and growing in these kids in hopes of providing them with a outsource of today’s society while learning structure and enjoyment of a team.

Dec 2, 2019
I have three kids, my youngest who is 7 is without a doubt the one that's most like me. She is the only one of my kids that's as competitive as me. And since there isn't a lot of 8u teams in our area we usually have to travel a couple hours for tournaments and stay in a lot of hotels and really get to bond with just me and her.. I'm close with all three of my kids, but the bond with her is just different. She even says I need to get a two seater car so in her words, "we don't have to let the idiots ride with us". She isn't a big fan of her older brother and sister. All my kids play sports, but my older two play more for the social aspect of it. My youngest plays to win. Hopefully she plays for a long time, but kids passion for things change. It will be a fun ride while it lasts.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
It would be hard for me to answer this without being a bore. My dd was a very good athlete in basketball, soccer, volleyball and golf. She played all but soccer in school and did well. However, it soon became apparent that she was obsessed with softball. She was obsessed and as parents, my wife and I were scared. -- (deleted about 2 million 107 words.) I needed to be there for her when I knew she would fall apart if she lost. I'll leave it at that. Wow what a ride my wife and I had.

If you mean with your question why am I still doing this, a message board, hopefully I have experiences that help others out. For the longer time members here, you must cringe when you see one of my posts. You probably know every story I have about that ride. LOL

Apr 20, 2015
For me it was simple. My daughter loves this sport and so my job is to do everything I can you support her dreams and this site helps me do that. If she was a dancer or a cheerleader I'd be on that site. I love the time we spend together on the road and selfishly I love how busy she is because raising a teenager today in the world of electronics, social media, vaping, drinking and other drugs is freaking hard so the busier she is and the bigger her dreams the easier my job is.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee