What is your number one reason you do this?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

What is your #1 reason for this softball journey?

• DD obtains a scholarship

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • DD learns the importance of hard work and overcoming adversity

Votes: 35 55.6%
  • Social engagement for DD and the family

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Family time spent together

Votes: 9 14.3%
  • You hate money

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Have yet to figure it out

Votes: 6 9.5%

• Total voters
Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
"what's the #1 reason you support your DD in her softball journey".
Because I saw something special in my DD from a very young age! But then it turned into I just really loved all the weekends with me and her, all the traveling, all the hotels, all the late night terrible food........but mainly, just hanging out with my daughter!

Me and her have many great stories and memories!

Mar 4, 2015
New England
Shouldn't the No. 1 answer be ''DD enjoys it"? Doesn't everything else flow from that? That is, ''DD enjoys it, and because it has all these other benefits - teaches life lessons, is a family activity - we support it.''

• You hate money

Apr 28, 2014
Shouldn't the No. 1 answer be ''DD enjoys it"? Doesn't everything else flow from that? That is, ''DD enjoys it, and because it has all these other benefits - teaches life lessons, is a family activity - we support it.''

• You hate money
I guess the assumption is that your DD enjoys it. Most of us wouldn't force our kids to do something they don't enjoy.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
I've been doing this for 20 seasons. Got into it in the rec league, and was later taught by a mentor who it seemed knew everything (turns out he knew plenty). I became a vacuum of information from my mentor. I had played baseball for a number of years and never got it out of my system I guess. My DD was never the best, just an average player so she swam and hit the books.

I on the other hand always enjoyed teaching softball and unfortunately and have yet to come across any coach who wants to learn what I have accumulated over the years. I just hate to see kids with ability play for coaches who don't teach.

I'm searching for that coach who wants to learn.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I'm searching for that coach who wants to learn.
...have you found other coaches on DFP who want to learn?
Read posts of people commending what DFP offers, helping them.
I also find its a wonderful assortment of info to draw perspectives from.

Since people learn in different ways.
Not always asking, often observing.
Perhaps annonimity on dfp helps some people be more comfortable with questions?! And exchanging what each thinks with others.
Even through pm's have noticed.

Last edited:

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
What are MY reasons? There's more than one, and they're all important...

1. After 13 years, DD still enjoys it...I've opened the door repeatedly to her retirement, but she won't quit.
2. There is great value in playing sports, experiencing success and failure, and learning to work in a team environment.
3. Although some people can be an obstacle, the game itself is fun for players, coaches, and spectators.
4. Watching DD do well after the hard work is a "memorable moment" for the family.

Oh yeah...she's getting some softball money in college, but that was never a reason or any sort of goal.

May 23, 2019
My daughter struggled socially we thought sports would help her open up... 3 years in and she barely talks to her team but she's turned into a heck of a player and really REALLY likes how the more she practices the better she gets. But she did actually call a pop fly the other day 😂

Mar 28, 2020

Made my DD play every single sport.

Key word "made"

She settled in on softball.....and now....DD seems to enjoy it

I was hoping she would settle in on Basketball.........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802