What is YOUR Biggest Coaching Challenge?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Parents that think their child is better than the rest. I had a pitcher in 14U last year that was decent, but her parents didn't feel that she needed to make practices, that she practiced with her dad and that was enough. She had no sense of team, nor did the parents. She made three practices all year and expected to pitch and play other positions when not pitching at tournament time. She is not returning this year.

BTW JC, is your reference to New Castle related to the Hillhouse clinic on Jan 9? One of my assistants and I are coming down from Ontario and may see you there. We were in a tournament in New Castle, PA in September and had a blast.

May 22, 2008
NW Pennsylvania
3dd,

I will be going to the Hillhouse clinic in Albion0n the 9th, as it is less than an hour from my house. I was referring to new castle with Hitter, because he is coming there in Feb with Crystal Bustos to do a hitting clinic there & also a coaches clinic on hitting if I am not mistaken. if you pm me your email, I can get you flyers on both.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
For me personally, the biggest challenge is motivating the rec ball girl who is playing to be with her friends. I had the biggest
challenge in rec last spring when a girl would not pay attention during drills and got hit on top of the head by a line drive that glanced off another's glove. We (coaches) tried every tactic we could think of but she would not perform. To make matters worse, she was also a chronic crier! It got to the point where she did not even take a single swing for 7 consecutive games. I spent more time with one player than the rest of the team. When I spoke with the parents, they accused me of trying to kick her off the team. She walked thru the dugout when going on-deck saying 'here comes another strikeout' This prompted a teammate intervention which also did nothing

Regarding travel ball, it is most challenging to get the girls to 'shake it off' when they bobble an easy play etc. It shows me that they care, but is difficult to get them to be 100% mentally ready for every play. Some have tendency to 'take plays off' during meaningful games on Sunday, it is not an option.

Jan 15, 2009
For me personally, the biggest challenge is motivating the rec ball girl who is playing to be with her friends. I had the biggest
challenge in rec last spring when a girl would not pay attention during drills and got hit on top of the head by a line drive that glanced off another's glove. We (coaches) tried every tactic we could think of but she would not perform. To make matters worse, she was also a chronic crier! It got to the point where she did not even take a single swing for 7 consecutive games. I spent more time with one player than the rest of the team. When I spoke with the parents, they accused me of trying to kick her off the team. She walked thru the dugout when going on-deck saying 'here comes another strikeout' This prompted a teammate intervention which also did nothing

Spending 80% of your time with the kid that doesn't want to be there is a common thread in REC ball. Tough to avoid when some kids are there at best for social hour and at worst because they are trying to appease a parent that wants them there when they'd rather be somewhere else. I'm not saying there aren't girls in travel ball that are just there to please Mom and Dad, but at that level you at least get a kid that realizes pleasing Mom and Dad means putting in some effort as well as showing up(i.e. they are a high level appeaser :) )

Dec 19, 2009
My biggest challange has always been to treat my daughter like any other girl on the team. Like most Dad/Coach I am way harder on my daughter and expect more out of her then any other girl on my team. To a lesser extent I have a tendancy to expect more out of the girls that have been playing for me for several years then the girls that haven't been with us as long.

Only posative with it being my daughter I'm hardest on is I can go find her afer the game and explain what a jerk her dad and coach are and she typically forgives me.

Chris

Jan 15, 2009
I had that problem early on with my daughter as well. Never said anything but positive to all the other players, only my daughter received negative criticism (and I cringe when I think back to some of the things I said to her) What got me over the hump was recognizing that (especially with girls) your never criticizing just one player. If you yell at your daughter, your yelling at her teammates as well. At some point I just decided that I didn't get into coaching to yell at kids (even my own).

May 7, 2008
Tucson
A big problem that I see among coaches is that they don't know how to involve 12 or 13 players. They don't understand Flex and DP and they play 9 players game after game. So, they have 3 or 4 girls and families really unhappy, all season.

May 5, 2008
A big problem that I see among coaches is that they don't know how to involve 12 or 13 players. They don't understand Flex and DP and they play 9 players game after game. So, they have 3 or 4 girls and families really unhappy, all season.

:( that's definitely an unfortunate situation - especially at the younger age levels. There should be a way to give everyone opportunities.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478