What is the yearly attrition rate?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 11, 2012
I think the numbers are going to be incredibly skewed due to covid. DDs team lost players that they wouldn’t ordinarily have lost due to classes all being remote so kids stayed home this year. It’ll be interesting to see if any of them try to come back next year.

Oct 23, 2014
I think the numbers are going to be incredibly skewed due to covid. DDs team lost players that they wouldn’t ordinarily have lost due to classes all being remote so kids stayed home this year. It’ll be interesting to see if any of them try to come back next year.
I completely agree! DD went to the Pacific NW to play and attend school, but no on-campus classes and closed facilities (like the library, caferia, etc) led to most of the team being way too wrapped up in "other things". After one semester of dealing with those gals, she's now at technical school and it's going much better. They have a full schedule, campus is open (with some restrictions of course) and the girls are more focused on their classes. This has been quite the year!

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
On average, across the NCAA, the general attrition rate ends up being close to 90%. That means 1 out of 10 girls end up playing the full 4 years. As @Westwind stated, this can vary program to program. That said, on DD's team, the biggest drop off has been Freshman- Sophomore year. The reasons have varied but the 3 biggest in DD's opinion have been lack of time management skills to both study and play, couldn't handle the team atmosphere (not starting) and the sudden freedom to party. The second biggest drop off has been Junior-Senior year because the Juniors have figured out that they probably won't start due to incoming recruits and established depth at their particular position.

Incredible...can you point me to where you found this number?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478