What is the Rule?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 10, 2021
There doesn't need to be contact to hinder or impede the fielder. I had a runner get so close to the SS that she couldn't step into fielding the ball, which arrived right as the runner was passing in front of the shortstop. No contact, but clear interference. The terrible umpire (I'd had him before. He's never been good, never appears to try to do a good job, doesn't know the rules, etc.) kept making different arguments, but settled on "The interference wasn't intentional," which is when I had to inform him he just admitted there was interference and he was just choosing to not follow the rules. What he should've said was "It doesn't matter how wrong I am. I'm doing what I feel like doing because I have no power anywhere else in my life." Would've been accurate and I would've at least respected his honesty.

Btw, here's NFHS on interference. No mention of contact being necess

One of the examples that is argued is the runner from second moving across the view of the SS on their way to 3rd base. The question is if the SS stays back and out of the running lane with no contact is that interference? If it is the runner only has the option of stopping. They cant take a path closer to the pitching circle either....still running in front. Still interference.

One item I would like to see defined is the difference between a fielder waiting on the ball and a fielder in the physical motion of fielding the ball This is a big distinction.

In my example if the SS is waiting and not playing the ball there is no interference with a runner crossing in front, however in your example the runner interferes with the SS ability to make the play. That is interference.

I had a coach argue that their SS heard footsteps and so they were impeded. Where is the line here? Judgement of the umpire.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Just as an aside, I had a game against a team that the batters routinely stepped out of the box with both feet intentionally to disrupt the throwdown to third when a baserunner was on 3. My catcher was getting really frustrated when the umpire told her to make the throw anyway after my repeated attempts to tell her the same thing. I told the HP ump respectfully that it was not his place to coach my players. However, the next time it happened, she made the throw and plunked the hitter. Of course , the play was duly called properly but I still wonder to this day what entered his mind to tell her that. Truly inappropriate in my mind.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
@YOCOACH I understand your feelings about having an umpire coach your players. In the case you mention, though, the umpire was repeating what you were already telling your C. While the umpire could have phrased it differently, something like "Coach is telling you to throw down. If you do that, then I might be able to make the interference call," I would think you would be at least satisfied, if not even pleased, that the umpire was reinforcing your attempts.

This sort of thing from an umpire REALLY depends on how it is done and, more especially, what the age level is. I do not want to derail this thread, so will post something in the general discussion forum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom