What is the Rule?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 18, 2021
Runner on second, pitcher pitches the ball and the runner attempts a steal. The pitch is a ball and the batter does not swing. The catcher catches the ball and throws the ball to 3rd. The batter remains in the box ready for the next pitch. When the catcher throws the ball, the ball deflects off the batters bat who remains in the batter’s box in the “loaded and ready for the next pitch position.” The runner is in their slide when the ball deflects off the bat. The batter did not do anything to interfere with the catcher, which the umpire confirmed. What is the proper call from the umpire?

Mar 1, 2013
The two responses above are correct. "As described", I have nothing but a live ball and a coach having a conversation with their catcher.

You asked for the rule - USA ruleset - rule 7.7.R and 7.7.S

Rule 7.7 - The batter is out...

R. When hindering the catcher from catching or throwing the ball by stepping out of the batter's box. (emphasis mine)
S. When actively hindering the catcher while in the batter's box. (again, emphasis mine)

So, the batter stayed in the box, so R does not apply. S would apply if they did something beyond just being there.

In summary...Have to see it, but live ball, play on.

Last edited:

CoachJ5513

BlueJ5513
Sep 29, 2010
Texas
Agree 100%
Same situation with the ball striking the bat on a "backswing" would be interference... you can actively hinder without intentionally doing so

Feb 13, 2021
MI
As described, correct call.

Follow-up question: Likelihood that the batter remains motionless: "locked and loaded" for the next pitch, with no movement that could hinder the catcher?

May 10, 2021
The new world of softball encourages umpires to call interference or obstruction unnecessarily IMO.

Many umpires will call this interference and say it doesn't have to be intentional. This has led to coaches actually telling catchers to throw the ball into the backs of the hitters.....unfortunately I am not kidding. Players need to create the interference not have it magically appear by a bad catcher/coach.

Coaches want interference on runners for passing by the SS or running in front of a fielder with no contact and use the hindering or impeding argument.
"I heard footsteps and pulled up".....that is interference in this decade.

There is absolutely no way I am calling interference on a batter IN THE BATTERS BOX.......unless they jumped into the throw or fell out of the box unintentionally with a balance issue. THAT is interference. Simply standing there with the bat after a pitch does not constitute interference ...at least until the latest umpiring trend.

It is so out of control........Ok off my soapbox.

Nov 9, 2021
I had a batter step out of the box recently and clearly get in the path of my catchers throw to the third. My catcher asked about Interference and the Ump instructed he wouldn’t call it unless the catcher made contact with the batter. Is this correct? Not sure I like the idea of having my catchers intentionally creating contact just to get the call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802