What is the rule on Pitcher Visits?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

VA Chris

Actually Read the Rules
Jun 13, 2013
Some field, Somewhere
Playing in a HS conf game under NFHS rules.

My only role in this matter was a very satisfied fan as both teams played a solid game and it came down to the last batter to decide!

Away coach calls time out. Calls over the batter and on deck batter. Home coach does not call time out but walks out to pitcher and talks with her and infield. Away coach finishes conversation and PU has to walk out and break up Home team conference. Should this have been counted as a first visit by the home team's coach?

During same inning away team is starting a comeback and has scored 3 times. Ball is hit to first-base where player has ball bounce off glove and up over her shoulder, ball then continues to right field. Home coach calls time out and checks out player for suspect injury. Very slowly evaluates and decides to pull player and place substitute on the field for first base. This time out did have the appearance of attempting to cool the rally in progress. Home coach then walks out to pitcher and has conference with her. Was this a second visit in the same inning?

Fans were not happy and calling out that this was a second visit and pitcher needs to be pulled. PU holds up 3 fingers at crowd, seemingly stating that home coach was entitled to 3 visits per inning.

Was this correctly handled?
Is a coach allowed to visit pitcher during opposing coaches timeout?
Did the home coach make two visits in the same inning?

Dec 19, 2012
HP ump is correct. In softball, a coach is allowed 3 visits, and the pitcher must be replaced on the 3rd visit.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I think I would have needed to see it but I am sure an ump will chime in all good questions.

The softball rule is a little bit different then baseball. The coach can visit the pitching position 3 times in a 7 inning game, on the 4th the P needs to be removed.

They can do all 3 in the 1st inning if they want but once they go out there again the P needs to be removed. Doesn't need to be the same P.

Jun 22, 2008
If one team calls time it is not a charged conference for the other team if the coach meets with their players, as long as they are ready to play again when the team who requested time is finished. If the umpire has to go out and break up the huddle it should probably be counted as a charged conference.

As has been stated, in softball the coach gets 3 charged defensive conferences per 7 inning game. They can use them all in one inning if they so choose. If the coach changes pitchers it does not count as a charged conference. And while on the subject of charged conferences, the offense gets 1 per inning.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I think most the coaches now the rule but it does confuse the heck out of the parents if it happens. Games we have been involved in it really doesn't happen.

Dec 19, 2012
I think I would have needed to see it but I am sure an ump will chime in all good questions.

The softball rule is a little bit different then baseball. The coach can visit the pitching position 3 times in a 7 inning game, on the 4th the P needs to be removed.

They can do all 3 in the 1st inning if they want but once they go out there again the P needs to be removed. Doesn't need to be the same P.

That's right, the penalty doesn't happen until the 4th visit and whoever the pitcher is at that time I believe is done pitching for the duration of the game.

VA Chris

Actually Read the Rules
Jun 13, 2013
Some field, Somewhere
Appreciate the feedback. This was a good game all around and the home coach seemed to be using these visits to slow the pace. Good news is these teams will be back at it again next year!

Thanks for all the posts.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
I wanted to comment on one other part of your post....

When the "injury" happened, the umpire should allow the coach to come onto the field to check his player, but that is all the coach should be doing. Once he decided to replace that player, inform the umpire of the substitution and let's play. Any comments to the pitcher much more than "C'mon, let's go" should have been charged a conference. At that point, coach is no longer tending to and injured player, the game has been stopped or delayed for the purpose of delivering a message from the bench to the players....the definition of a charged conference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802