What is the proper way to throw a softball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 19, 2013
Texas
You guys have been great with everything else! I thought I would ask this question. Do u use hip coil for this also?

Thanks for your help in advance! Excited to see what u guys think!

Last edited:
May 17, 2012
When people get into this stuff, you lose me, and there is no way to transfer this to a player who has do DO things, not just analyze them.

Isn't that what a coach does? They take technical concepts and translate them into practical applications for players?

If you are going to show them *how* you had better understand the *why*.

Oct 25, 2009
I don't need to know what my scap is doing or even the name of the muscle or some jargon like hip coil, and the degrees of separation and everything else posted here. All the technical stuff is typically not for the doers, especially younger doers. It is to satisfy the adults around the doers. My showing is hitting the ball well or throwing it well. What technical explanation do I need?

The 'whys' are often shown in the results: Where does the ball go? What caused it to go there? etc. Some of these need to be answered by the athlete, some can be trial and error so they feel the difference, and they don't need lot of talk from the coach--think how much time it took to type some of those hitting explanations (can the hitter absorb that, think about it and hit the ball in .02 seconds?). You don't need to be a snow mobile mechanic to drive one fast (had to get a winter reference in there).

For a player that is NOT doing the fundamentals (such as coiling) how do you explain how to do it?

As far as the snow mobile, you do need to know how to steer, for example. Steering sometimes works better than braking when approaching a tree fast.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
I work on throwing mechanics first every lesson, with every student.
We work on different pieces of it. One (swing) or (throwing) thought at a time.
Some of the steps:
A nice rhythm
Throwing arm elbow even with shoulder or alittle higher, so they don't get a sore arm.
Stretch
Tucking the glove in
Hip coil or loading the rear butt and inside of the leg, just like hitting
Not loading backwards...falling forward as you coil
Late separation on the throw to mimic the hitting..Get the lower half working first
Driving off the rear side....lower back, butt, leg, foot...same as in hitting
Throwing out and around where the throwing hand ends up across the opposite leg. So many new girls starting out, push the throw. They push the throw, they push the bat
Here is one of Casey releasing out and around across the body...Tucking the glove...driving off the back side

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478