What is the most important catching skill college coaches look for?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 22, 2019
Rural northeast
Between pop time and accuracy, blocking, and framing, which is most important which is least important. Is there another skill I left out of this list?

Aug 20, 2017
Leadership, command the infield, know pitchers and how to keep them focused, vocal, plate coverage, pop flies, talkative with umpires, that’s all I got in addition to what you posted

Sep 29, 2014
Nothing wrong with it just very subjective as to what we are talking about as always means different things to different people. This is important but can be taught versus arm strength...oh and did I forget to mention hitting...lol

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Between pop time and accuracy, blocking, and framing, which is most important which is least important. Is there another skill I left out of this list?

Every coach is different and will like and value different things on their own scale and opinion on what a catcher should be. Also just like anything - what they individually think is good catching is all over the place. Most honestly don't have a great read on what a catcher should be like.

Some love the huge arm - some love pop-times - some love the blockers (especially if they also love the drop ball pitchers) - some love the best receivers - some love presence -some love big strong girls, others like more athletic and so on. Some like 'quiet' catchers - some like the ones that bounce around. Some require a big bat to go along with being a catcher - some don't care. Some want their catchers to be versatile enough to play one of the corners when not catching.

So you missed some 'skills' - receiving, presence, athleticism, 'height', batting, versatility, style, etc, etc...

There is one thing though - none look at framing. They look at receiving. There is a major difference - framing isn't really a skill - the skill is receiving.

I don't know how many times I have to say it - never think of college coaches as general group and assume what they like or don't like. Like any other group of people they are individually all going to be very different and in terms of coaching ability range from 'shouldn't be let near a tee ball team' to 'great coach'.

"A college coach once told me they like xxxx" can only really be used as a measure of what THAT coach likes.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I have been blessed to coach several outstanding catchers in both baseball and softball that have gone on to do well in college. One went on to break several records at her university and will, no doubt, enter her university's hall of fame when she becomes eligible. Our catcher this year was 1st Team All Area and is going to play in college. There is not a simple answer for the OP.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wes_K